Public Access

Maryland Archaeological Synthesis Database

Phase II and Phase III Archaeological Database and Inventory
18WA496    Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove Farmstd

Site Data
Site Number: 18WA496
Site Name: Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove Farmstd
Other name(s): MIHP # WA-I-480
Prehistoric:
Historic:
Unknown:
Brief Description: 19th-20th century standing farmstead,18th century house site; Middle Archaic through Middle Woodland camps
Site Location and Environmental Data
Latitude: 39.7
Longitude: -77.72
Elevation:  
Site slope: 0-3%
Maryland Archaeo Research Unit No.: 19
SCS soil & sediment code: HaA
Physiographic province: Ridge and Valley
Terrestrial site:
Underwater site:
Ethnobotany profile:
Maritime site:
Site setting: -Site Setting restricted -Lat/Long accurate to within 1 sq. mile, user may need to make slight adjustments in mapping to account for sites near state/county lines or streams
Topography
Floodplain:
Hilltop/bluff:
Interior flat:
Upland flat:
Ridgetop:
Terrace:
Low terrace:
High terrace:
Rockshelter/cave:
Hillslope:
Unknown:
Other:
Other Text:  
Ownership
Private:
Federal:
State of MD:
Regional/county/city:
Unknown:
Nearest Surface Water
Name (if any): Unnamed tributary of West Branch
Saltwater
Ocean:
Estuary/tidal river:
Tidewater/marsh:
Freshwater
Stream/river:
Swamp:
Lake or pond:
Spring:

Min distance to water:
12 meters
Temporal Contextual Data
Paleoindian:  
Archaic:  
Early Archaic:  
Middle Archaic: Y
Late Archaic: Y
Woodland:  
MD Adena:  
Early Woodland:  
Middle Woodland: Y
Late Woodland:  
Unknown prehistoric:  
Contact period site:  
ca. 1630 - 1675:  
ca. 1675 - 1720:  
ca. 1720 - 1780: Y
ca. 1780 - 1820: Y
ca. 1820 - 1860: Y
ca. 1860 - 1900: Y
ca. 1900 - 1930: Y
Post 1930: Y
Unknown historic:  
Unknown context:  

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Ethnic Associations (historic only)
Native American:  
African American: Y
Anglo-American: Y
Hispanic:  
Asian American:  
Unknown:  
Other: Y
Other Text: German

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Site Function Contextual Data
Prehistoric
Multi-component:
Village:
Hamlet:
Base camp:
Rockshelter/cave:
Earthen mound:
Cairn:
Burial area:
Misc. ceremonial:
Rock art:
Shell midden:
STU/lithic scatter:
Quarry/extraction:
Fish weir:
Production area:
Unknown:
Other PH context:
 
Historic
Urban/Rural?:
Rural
Domestic:
Homestead:
Farmstead:
Mansion:
Plantation:
Row/townhome:
Cellar:
Privy:
Industrial:
Mining-related:
Quarry-related:
Mill:
 
Black/metalsmith:
Furnace/forge:
Other industrial:
 
Transportation:
Canal-related:
Road/railroad:
Wharf/landing:
Maritime-related:
Bridge:
Ford:
Educational:
Commercial:
Trading post:
Store:
Tavern/inn:
Military:
Battlefield:
Fortification:
Encampment:
Townsite:
Unknown:
Other hist context:
 
Interpretive Sampling Data
Prehistoric context samples
Soil samples taken: N
Flotation samples taken: N
Other samples taken:  
Historic context samples
Soil samples taken: Y
Flotation samples taken: Y
Other samples taken: Faunal

Diagnostic Artifact Data

Projectile Point Types
Clovis:  
Hardaway-Dalton:  
Palmer:  
Kirk (notch):  
Kirk (stem):  
Le Croy:  
Morrow Mountain:  
Guilford:  
Brewerton:  
Otter Creek:  
Koens-Crispin:  
Perkiomen:  
Susquehana:  
Vernon:  
Piscataway:  
Calvert:  
Selby Bay:  
Jacks Reef (notch):  
Jacks Reef (pent):  
Madison/Potomac:  
Levanna:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Sherd Types
Marcey Creek:  
Dames Quarter:  
Selden Island:  
Accokeek:  
Wolfe Neck:  
Vinette:  
Popes Creek:  
Coulbourn:  
Watson:  
Mockley:  
Clemson Island:  
Page:  
Shepard:  
Townsend:  
Minguannan:  
Sullivan Cove:  
Shenks Ferry:  
Moyaone:  
Potomac Creek:  
Keyser:  
Yeocomico:  
Monongahela:  
Susquehannock:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Sherd Types
Earthenware
Astbury:  
Borderware:  
Buckley:  
Creamware: 844
Ironstone: 1
Jackfield:  
Manganese Mottled: 1
North Devon:  
Pearlware: 1758
Staffordshire:  
Tin Glazed:  
Whiteware: 1316
Porcelain: 31
Stoneware
English Brown: 1
English Dry-bodied:  
Nottingham:  
Rhenish:  
White Salt-glazed: 1

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Artifacts
Flaked stone: 40
Ground stone:  
Stone bowls:  
Fire-cracked rock:  
Other lithics (all):  
Ceramics (all):  
Rimsherds:  
Other fired clay:  
Human remain(s):
Modified faunal:  
Unmodified faunal:  
Oyster shell:
Floral material:
Uncommon Object:  
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Artifacts
Pottery (all): 4818
Glass (all): 5751
Architectural: 7130
Furniture: 9
Arms:  
Clothing: 187
Personal items: 38
Tobacco related: 22
Activity item(s): 67
Human remain(s):
Faunal material:
Misc. kitchen: 1098
Floral material:
Misc.: 14
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Lithic Material
Jasper:
Chert:
Rhyolite:
Quartz:
Quartzite:
Ferruginous quartzite:
Chalcedony:
Ironstone:
Argillite:
Steatite:
Sandstone:
Silicified sandstone:
European flint:
Basalt:
Unknown:
Other:
limestone

Features

Dated Features
Dated features present at site:
foundation, hearth/chimney, privy, cistern, middens all dated to 18th/19th century via diagnostic artifacts
Prehistoric Features
Mound(s):  
Midden:
Shell midden:
Postholes/molds:
House pattern(s):
Palisade(s):
Hearth(s):
Lithic reduction area:
Storage/trash pit:
Burial(s):
Ossuary:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Historic Features
Construction feature:
Foundation:
Cellar hole/cellar:
Hearth/chimney:
Postholes/molds:
Paling ditch/fence:
Privy/outhouse:
Well/cistern:
Trash pit/dump:
Sheet midden:
Planting feature:
Road/walkway:
Depression/mound:
Burial(s):
Railroad bed:
Earthworks:
Mill raceway:
Wheel pit:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Radiocarbon Data
Sample 1:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 2:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 3:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 4:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 5:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 6:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 7:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 8:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 9:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 

Additional radiocarbon results available:
   
External Samples/Data
Additional raw data may be available online:
Collection curated at MAC Lab
Summary
Site 18WA496, also known as the Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove farmstead site, is a multicomponent site that includes an 18th-century farmstead house site, 19th–20th-century farmsteads (now demolished), and Late/Terminal Archaic short-term camps. The site is on a largely level section of farmland with cornfields to the south and west, and pastureland with abundant limestone outcrops to the north and east. The larger farm sits to the east of PA route 11 and south of Airport View Road. A small, often dry stream runs through the farm yard between the barn and the north lawn of the farmhouse. Soils on the site are mostly Hagerstown silt loam, and the area includes agricultural fields, wooded areas, pasture, and a cemetery. The occupation of the Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove Farmstead can be broken down into several occupational periods, which are discussed in greater detail below and throughout this document. Jacob Brumbaugh bought a tract of land near the Great Wagon Road in what was then Frederick County. This tract of land had originally been surveyed for David M. Claland. Claland was illiterate, using a mark for his signature. A survey was made setting down the metes and bounds of “Claland’s Contrivance” on February 26, 1752. Instead of taking out the patent himself, Claland assigned his rights to Conrad Hagmayer on July 9, 1753. The patent for the 90–acre Claland’s Contrivance was issued to Conrad Hagmayer the same day. On September 26, 1753, Hagmayer sold the entire 90 acres to Jacob Brumbaugh for £64. In July 1754 Jacob patented 100 acres he named “Ill Will” near the Pennsylvania-Maryland border. The following year, Conrad Hagmayer assigned half of a 100–acre land warrant to Jacob Brumbaugh that adjoined Ill Will. Jacob named the 50–acre tract “Broombacks Lott.” In April 1763 Jacob Brumbaugh had Claland’s Contrivance resurveyed with the addition of vacant land to the north and south of the original 90–acre farmstead. The resulting patent for “The Resurvey of Claland’s Contrivance” was 505 acres that stretched northward to his Broomback’s Lott tract. Only five months after adding 420 acres to his original Claland’s Contrivance farm tract, Jacob had a new survey made that combined his Ill Will and Broomback’s Lott tracts with surrounding vacant land. The resulting 260–acre tract was patented as “Timber Bottom,” a tract that extended to the so-called Temporary Line that divided Maryland and Pennsylvania. The surveyor noted that 2 1/2 acres of Timber Bottom had been cleared and fenced. In 1765 Jacob patented his last tract in Washington County. “The Chance” was only 23 acres but it filled in a gap on his farm. In the twelve years since his first land acquisition, his Maryland farm had grown to 788 acres. Jacob Brumbaugh married Mary Elizabeth Angle on January 28, 1760. Jacob and Mary Brumbaugh had six boys and one girl born between 1765 and 1783. Jacob Brumbaugh died on his property in Morrisons Cove on April 10, 1799. His body was carried back from Bedford County to his homestead in Washington County for burial in the family cemetery, located on the Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove Farm. Jacob did not leave a will, instead trusting to the laws of descent and his family’s judgment to divide his substantial landholdings. In 1800 Jacob Brumbaugh, Jr., the administrator of his father’s estate, was enumerated in Washington County as the head of a household. Mary, aged 60, lived with her three youngest sons, David (24), Henry (23), and George (17); Henry’s wife, Margaret (18); Henry’s daughter, Mary Elizabeth (1), and two unidentified young males between 10 and 15 years old. The household also included three slaves, at least two of whom probably arrived with Margaret when she married Henry. Jacob’s 400 acre farm remained intact and under the ownership of the estate. In 1803 Mary released her dower rights in Jacob’s real estate for a payment of £35 ($155.40). This smoothed the way for a division of the land to finally take place. Jacob Brumbaugh, Jr., petitioned the County Court in February 1804 to appoint commissioners to partition the 394 acres of land in his father’s estate between the seven children. The commissioners, five farmers of the neighborhood, met together on Jacob Brumbaugh’s farm on April 30, 1804. They concluded that the land could not be divided fairly into seven portions. They pointed out that the farm’s improvements, water, and orchard were situated close together on the Resurvey of Claland’s Contrivance tract. Dividing the farm into more than two or three portions would lessen its overall value, which the commissioners appraised at £4,100 ($18,204.00). This meant that each heir was due the equivalent of £585 ($2597.40). Jacob Jr. was put in charge of selling off his father’s farm in Washington County. Henry got the largest portion. On October 23, 1806, he paid $1,000 for 235 1/2 acres of the Resurvey of Claland’s Contrivance tract and an adjoining 4 1/2 acre tract. To give Henry a clear title, his siblings released their rights, for which he had to pay another £500 ($2220). Other parts of Jacob Brumbaugh’s farm were sold out of the family, typically to neighboring landowners. In October 1820 the federal census taker recorded the household of Henry Brumbaugh with 8 white people and 11 slaves. The eldest daughter, Mary Elizabeth, had recently married and moved out of the house. That left six children at home with Henry and Margaret: Casandra (15), Otho (13), Andrew (10), Upton (7), Elvina (4) and George (2). Calvin, their last child, would be born later in the year. Six people in the household were engaged in agriculture. Daniel Brumbaugh was the only other son to take up residence on the former Jacob Brumbaugh farm. Daniel purchased 80 acres of land comprised of parts of the Resurvey of Claland’s Contrivance, Spriggs Paradise, and Chance tracts. He paid £880 ($3907.20) for the farm. Daniel’s son, Samuel David inherited the farm in 1824 and was depicted on the 1859 Taggart map as “S. Brumbaugh”. On the 1877 Lake, Griffing, and Stevenson map, the “heirs of S. Brumbaugh” were the owners of the farmstead. Samuel’s son, Philip Napoleon “Nap” Brumbaugh became its next owner. The records for the Brumbaugh family provide a fair amount of detail about the enslaved population that once lived on the farm. Henry Brumbaugh recorded the vital data of his slaves in his ledger alongside those of his family. Via this lens, we can see who precisely was living on the Brumbaugh farm and, in some cases, even their appearance, possessions, skills, and fates. Henry’s 1817 advertisement for the return of two “dark Mulatto Men,” is the first real record of slaves on the Brumbaugh farm. By this advertisement, we know that slavery was being actively practiced on the farm in the early nineteenth century. The next real record of the enslaved population is in Henry’s ledger. The ledger lists 16 people born between 1802 and 1823, nine probable males and seven probable females based on first names. Of the males, three were sold, one ran away, and two died; of the females, two were sold, one was given to daughter Cassandra, and one died. The fates of the remaining slaves were not indicated. In 1840, Henry Brumbaugh was 63 years old and his wife, Margaret, was 60. All of their children had left home or passed away, except for one of their younger sons who remained at the homestead. Not long after, their prodigal son, Andrew, reappeared. He was evidently welcomed back. Henry sold him the entire farm on September 1, 1846, for $12,330. The farm Andrew purchased had been gradually enlarged by his father from the original 235 1/2 acres in 1806 to 274 acres by 1841. Margaret Rench Brumbaugh died in 1851 and Henry in 1854. Both were buried in the family plot on the farm. In 1846, Andrew took over the farm. By 1850, the Brumbaughs owned 5 black slaves: two males and three females between the ages of 10 and 50. The eldest was a 50-year-old man, who was probably Tom Selser, a slave Henry Brumbaugh had listed in his ledger. Three unidentified young women, between the ages of 12 and 20, may have been born on the Brumbaugh farm. Between 1820 and 1850, federal census population schedules grouped household residents by race, sex, and age: the Brumbaugh farm averaged two or more adult female slaves and five or six children during the enumerations. In 1850 the only other male slave besides Tom living on the Brumbaugh farm was 10 years old. Likely, he was Henry Baker, a man who escaped from the farm in 1859. In 1848, Thomas, an orphan, joined the Brumbaugh household as a farmer’s apprentice. He was bound to Andrew for eight years until he turned 21. Andrew agreed to pay Thomas $50 in 1856. Freedom dues were customarily paid to servants upon completion of their contracts. Thomas received a slightly higher amount as compensation for not receiving any schooling. In 1851 Andrew Brumbaugh became the master of another young African-American apprentice. Jarrett Dorsey, a Hagerstown blacksmith, bound his 15-year-old son, Robert, to Andrew as a domestic servant for the term of five years. Robert Dorsey earned $20 per year which was sent home to his mother. When Robert Dorsey completed his apprenticeship on January 1, 1856, the final year’s salary would be delivered into his hands. After leaving the Brumbaugh farm, Robert got a job as a waiter in a Hagerstown hotel. In 1857 Andrew Brumbaugh owned five chattel slaves – men, women, and children that he owned for life. These included two male slaves, aged 17 and 57, and three female slaves between the ages of 19 and 27. Andrew acquired another two male slaves that year. These men were purchased for a set term of years by a deed of bargain and sale. William Dorsey was the first of the term slaves added to the farm’s workforce. Andrew paid James Madison Downey $400 for eight years of William’s service beginning on the first of March 1857. The relationship between William Dorsey and Robert Dorsey, if any, is unknown. Downey left Washington County soon after this transaction and moved across the Potomac River into Loudoun County, Virginia. William Dorsey labored for Andrew Brumbaugh for only six months. In September 1857, Andrew sold the remaining seven years and six months of William Dorsey’s term of service to Morgan and Andrew Miller, farmers near Sharpsburg. On April 21, 1857, Andrew purchased George Gant for a term of ten years from Samuel Eichelberger for the price of $250. Two years later, the inventory of Andrew Brumbaugh’s personal estate included “a black man [named] George” valued at $200. George Gant was likely the 30- year-old black man listed in the Brumbaugh’s 1860 slave schedule. Andrew’s plans for extending his workforce included hiring a White farmhand, but the identity of this man is unknown. One of the Brumbaughs’ slaves in the 1850s was Henry Baker/Butler, “a slave for a term of years.” After Andrew’s death in 1859, Susan continued the practice of keeping slaves, owning three men between the ages of 18 and 57; and, a 26-year old woman. In the spring of 1859, Baker absconded from the family when the Washington County Orphan’s Court authorized his sale as part of the estate of Andrew Brumbaugh. Baker had previously served 4 ½ years in a Maryland prison for stealing bread and had subsequently left the state, as required under Maryland law. But he later returned to Maryland, was arrested, and sold to the Brumbaughs for a four-year term of service. Baker was soon apprehended in Baltimore and jailed; and, after expending a considerable sum in arrest, jail, court, and medical fees, Susan Brumbaugh secured Baker’s return to Washington County. And so, as punishment for the escape, Brumbaugh petitioned the Washington County Orphans’ Court to extend Baker’s original term of service. Undeterred, Baker spent a brief time with Brumbaugh's brother, Blackstone Lynch, before fleeing to parts unknown, taking with him some items belonging to Lynch that included an old cooking stove. The Brumbaughs also took on a number of free black laborers and apprentices. Such arrangements seem bizarre at first glance, but grow less so when one considers the variety of activities carried out on the county’s farms and the impracticality of maintaining a large slave labor force to do them. Such conditions influenced Washington County farmers to make use of a variety of labor arrangements that included wage labor, apprenticeships, indentured service, term slavery, and lifelong chattel slavery. Among the Brumbaugh’s free black apprentices and employees were Luther Coal, Thomas Hanson, Robert Dorsey, and Nelson Covas. The terms of Dorsey’s 5-year apprenticeship included the obligation that Brumbaugh provide Dorsey “good and sufficient Meat, drink, washing, lodging, clothing, and other necessaries fit and convenient for such as servant,” as well as to pay Dorsey’s mother $20 annually. In return, Dorsey would serve Brumbaugh “well and faithfully” in “all such lawful business” to which he was put. And, at the completion of Dorsey’s apprenticeship, Brumbaugh was required to make the final $20 payment directly to Dorsey. Andrew Brumbaugh died on February 17, 1859, at the age of 49. His wife, Susan, was 33 and the mother of four —Margaret (11), Upton (9), Sallie (8), and Henry (4). Andrew did not leave a will. On March 1, 1859, the Washington County Orphan’s Court appointed Susan and William T. Hamilton as the administrators of Andrew’s estate. Hamilton also acted as the children’s guardian until 1870. After completing the inventory of Andrew’s personal property, the court ordered an appraisal of the farm, including the dwelling houses, outhouses, orchards, gardens, meadows, enclosures, and other improvements. Only two male slaves were included in the inventory: “Tom,” who was given a value of $50, and “George,” valued at $200. Tom Selser would have been about 57 years old in 1859, which accounts for his low value. George Gant, on the other hand, was about 29 years old; his value would have been a reflection of his age and capacity for arduous farm work. On April 2, 1859, two weeks after Andrew’s inventory was recorded with the county, William T. Hamilton amended the inventory to include Henry Baker, a slave “for a term of years” valued at $750 who had escaped but been captured. On April 11th, seven weeks following her husband’s death, Susan petitioned the Orphans’ Court to allow her to manage the farm. In certain circumstances a widow and her children found themselves having to leave their home and move in with relatives in order to generate income from a tenant farmer. Susan believed it was in her family’s best interest to take over the farm. She would act as the “tenant farmer,” paying her rent with a share of what she produced. The court agreed and Susan Brumbaugh received the unusual distinction of having her occupation listed as “farmeress” on the 1860 federal census. In 1860, Susan Brumbaugh was the head of a household that included her four children and her 21-year-old halfsister, Mary Long. Two youngsters were also a part of the household - 13-year-old William Kane, who was White, and 12-year-old Nelson Covas, who was Black. William Kane attended school, but Nelson Covas did not. Susan was listed as the owner of four slaves: a 57-year-old male (Tom Selser); a 30-year-old male (George Gant); an 18-year old male; and a 21-year-old female (U.S. Census of 1860a:620-621, “Susan Bumbaugh”). In August 1860, Susan made an agreement with Jacob Alexander Green, a Black laborer living in Hagerstown, to train his five-year-old son, Lewis Elias Green, as a farmer. Susan agreed to give her apprentice two sets of clothes – one for working days and one for Sundays when he reached 21. He was also promised $30 when he left. Maryland’s slaves were declared free on November 1, 1864, only a few months before Congress would approve the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery. Susan Lynch Brumbaugh married Jacob W. Clair (also spelled Clare) on February 13, 1862. Susan Clair continued to be the official tenant of the Andrew Brumbaugh farm, even after her marriage. However, Jacob appears to have taken over management of the farm. None of the chattel slaves, term slaves or apprentices were still members of the Brumbaugh household in 1870. The family delayed partitioning Andrew Brumbaugh’s real estate until youngest daughter Sallie turned 21 at the end of 1873. The family decided among themselves how to divide the farm. Margaret and her husband, William Martin, were allotted 96 3/8 acres as their share of the real estate. Margaret’s portion of the farm included a bank barn and a well. Upton and Sallie, both single, would receive 162 3/4 acres of land as equal partners. Their portion included the homestead and the farm’s main outbuildings. Susan and her husband, Jacob, were conveyed 15 acres on the Hagerstown and Middleburg Turnpike for which they paid $1,500 to Margaret. By June 1873 Upton had taken out three mortgage loans totaling $1,500 on his allotted portion of the farm. These loans might have provided him with the capital to operate the farm. He began experimenting with new varieties of wheat and won awards at the Washington County Agricultural Fair for his cattle. All during this period, he continued to teach at School No. 3. He had married Catharine Stake in 1875 and the couple had one daughter. Upton and Catharine named their daughter Minnie, perhaps after Upton’s half-sister, who was 17 and still living at home. Upton’s father-in-law, Edward Stake, arranged for Upton to cede control over his share of the Andrew Brumbaugh farm and put it into the hands of his wife, Catharine. Upton and his family lived with his mother and stepfather on the Spriggs Paradise farm. Jacob, 53, was listed as the head of household. He was still a farmer, but had traded the responsibility of managing a farm for his step-children to operating his own small farm of 44 acres. In January 1880, Norman E. Schindel purchased his brother-in-law Upton’s share of the Andrew Brumbaugh home farm for $4,338. To complete the transfer of title, Susan Clare sold her dower rights in the property to Norman for $1,083. Susan retained the right to use the Brumbaugh burial ground on the farm. In 1895 Norman Schindel sold the 162 1/2-acre former Andrew Brumbaugh farm to Samuel and Mollie Kendle for $9,140.62. The farm had lost a good deal of value since being purchased by Norman in 1884. Samuel built a new home on the same spot as the old log building that had stood for “more than 100 years” on the Andrew Brumbaugh farm. By 1920 Samuel Kendle was 60 years old and retired from farming. Only Samuel and Mollie’s youngest daughter, Ruth, 18, still lived at home. Caring for the farmhouse and surrounding acres did not suit the Kendles any longer. They sold off the farm in 1924 but retained a small corner lot on the Middleburg Turnpike (Route 11) opposite Showalter Road on which they built an 8–room brick house. Samuel Milton Kendle died in 1948 at the age of 88. Luther and Katie Grove bought Samuel Milton Kendle’s 160–acre farm for $22,000 on April 1, 1924. On the same day, they sliced off a 21–acre parcel from the farm’s southeast corner and sold it to Jacob H. Risser for $3,243. Soon after moving to the Kendle farm, Luther began advertising the varieties of apples his orchard was producing, including York, Imperial, Stark, Jonathan, Gano, Roman Beauty, and Cider. He opened a stall in the Saturday Morning Farmer’s Market in Hagerstown to sell his fruit. In 1926, aviation pioneers Ammon Kreider and Lewis Reisner formed the Kreider-Reisner Aircraft Company in Hagerstown. This event would have far-reaching implications for Luther Grove’s farm. The aircraft company soon outgrew its facilities and in 1928 bought a farm field from a descendant of Jacob Brumbaugh Sr. on the west side of Route 11 opposite the Grove farm. Kreider-Reisner built a hangar where their airplanes could be assembled and a landing strip that became the nucleus of the Hagerstown Municipal Airport. The Grove farm continued to operate as their neighbors across the road became a hive of activity. In 1950, Luther and Katie, who were in their late sixties, rented the farm to their son, Luther Grove, Jr. The farm had been in Luther Grove’s hands for more than a quarter century but he still referred to it as the “Milford Kendall [sic] farm.” Luther sold off his “full line of farming implements and machinery sufficient to farm 150 acres” at a public sale. Included in the sale were six horses. In 1959, Luther Sr. conveyed the title to the farm to his son and daughter-in-law, Leona, for “natural love and affection.” Luther Grove Jr. farmed from 1950 to 1967. He and Leona moved to a home in a nearby housing development. In 1997, Luther and Leona granted the Board of County Commissioners a deed of easement for a parcel of land in the northwest corner of the farm on U.S. Route 11, an acquisition made for a runway protection zone. The following year the Groves donated the entire farm tract to the Jacob Engle Foundation, a non-profit investment and lending organization associated with the Brethren in Christ Church. The Foundation sold the farm to the Board of County Commissioners of Washington County, Maryland, the current owners, for $840,000 in 1999. In 2001 URS Corporation, now AECOM, conducted a preliminary Phase I archaeological assessment of the Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove Farmstead property prior to the construction of the extension to Runway 9-27 at the Hagerstown Airport. The Phase I archaeological investigation at the farmstead consisted of 21 shovel test pits (STPs) placed around the extant buildings (Barse et al. 2001). During this survey, three areas were tested. Eight STPs directly to the north of the dwelling resulted in the recovery of 81 artifacts with a terminus post quem (TPQ) of 1880, although the 3 STPs closest to the house had a TPQ of 1842. Of the 6 STPs on the west side of the dwelling, 4 contained 65 artifacts with a TPQ of 1840. One STP here was sterile and one, which was located further to the north and adjacent to the smokehouse, produced 37 artifacts with a later TPQ, of 1887. The 7 STPs placed to the northeast of the dwelling, on the opposite side of a gravel drive, rendered just 3 artifacts (2 nails and a door latch) with a TPQ of 1805 based on the presence of a cut nail. No subsurface archaeological features were documented during the Phase I survey. Based on this evidence, the MHT requested that additional archaeological assessment occur as part of mitigation work prior to the commencement of demolition of the farmhouse. The MHT considered the structural demolition to be substantive enough so as to constitute the total destruction of any archaeological deposits associated with these structures. The end goal of the archaeological survey was, therefore, a Phase III data recovery effort, to collect and analyze all of the archaeological deposits associated with the occupation of this site. At the conclusion of this process, the archaeological component of this site within the Area of Potential Effect (APE) is to be considered completely mitigated. Investigations were conducted in 2017 and 2018. The archaeological investigation at the Brumbaugh-Kendle Grove Farmstead was conducted in four phases plus demolition monitoring. The first phase was geophysical survey designed to identify subsurface anomalies that might present targets for later archaeological testing. A total of six geophysical grids of data were collected. Grid 1 (11 × 7 m) occupied the bulk of the northern lawn between the house and the driveway; a surficial path traversed the grid diagonally in between the porch and the well. Abutting Grid 1 to the east was Grid 2, a 9 × 23 m block that encompassed the entirety of the east lawn, bounded to the north by the well, east by the driveway, to the south by the cornfield, and to the west by the house. Grid 3 (4 × 21 m) was in the southern side yard, in between the house and the cornfield. A buried metal pipe was noted across the grid, traveling from the house out to the cornfield. Grid 4 (7 × 14 m) was located to the west of the house, in the backyard. Grid 5 was a small, 4 × 9 m grid adjacent to Grid 4, located to the west of the summer kitchen/wash house. Grid 6 was an 8 × 8 m survey block located to the south of the barn complex and just north of the former stream drainage. Grid 6 was the only survey block not located around the standing house; only gradiometer data was collected within this grid. A total of 21 anomalies were identified within the six geophysical grids. Of these, 12 were recommended for archaeological testing. The second phase was the Phase IB survey, which included a systematic shovel testing program in order to identify concentrations of artifacts or soils that would warrant further exploration. The Phase IB survey included a total of 100 shovel test pits (STPs) set at 7.5-m intervals across 12 north-south running transects. The STPs were identified by their grid coordinates, with the easting as the transect designation, in order to maintain a standard identification paradigm across all phases of excavation. Of the 100 pre-plotted STPs, 53 were excavated; the remainder were located in areas that could not be accessed due to obstacles such as standing structures, pavement, or compacted gravel. Two judgmentally placed STPs were excavated at the southern end of the APE. Analysis of the Phase IB testing results indicated that the areas around the brick farmhouse contained the most positive shovel tests, the barn had a few scattered locations of positive STPs, and the yard between them was mostly sterile. The western and southern yards of the brick farmhouse had the highest volume of historical artifacts: none of the STPs in the western yard were sterile, and nearly all had artifact quantities in the double digits with one STP near the southwest corner of the dwelling containing 145 historical artifacts. The high concentrations of artifacts along the edge of the western yard where it met the cornfield suggested that occupation deposits continued further west into the cornfield and that more of the site was located in that direction. The south yard did not have quite the concentration of historical material as the western yard, but it too had several STPs with artifact counts in the double digits, many around 30 artifacts. This suggested that this area was also historically utilized. As the sampling of STPs in the southern yard moved away from the brick farmhouse toward the edge of the cornfield, the volume of artifacts noticeably decreased. This suggested that the deposits in the southern yard were clustered near the standing house and did not continue much further south into the cornfield. Shovel testing in the north yard of the brick farmhouse revealed a high concentration of material in the area near the wash house/summer kitchen and smokehouse, a concentration that noticeably decreased to the east, across the north lawn. Much of the middle of the yard was not testable owing to compacted gravel and tailings pavement. While the area around the barn had some locations where STPs were positive, the northern half of the APE produced far fewer positive tests, and those that were positive contained less than 10 artifacts. The only exception to this was the presence of a more robust concentration near the southwestern corner of the barn by the gate to the northern pasture. The Phase IB testing suggested that the highest potential for significant archaeological deposits was in the western and southern yards of the brick farmhouse, as well as the western section of the north lawn. These areas were locations not only of artifacts concentrations, but also of the most robust stratigraphic deposits, and were the primary targets for Phase II testing. Secondary targets included locations that exhibited higher concentrations of cultural material than surrounding tests, or locations where STP testing showed the presence of intact natural soils, such as the area to the west of the southwest corner of the barn. The third phase was Phase II testing, which further investigated locations identified by the geophysical and Phase IB surveys as having demonstrated potential for the possible presence of significant cultural deposits and features. The Phase II investigation at the BKG Farmstead site consisted of the excavation of 48 test units (TUs) and 5 trenches. The purpose of the Phase II survey was to sample locations of A horizon and historical fill, allowing for the meaningful spatial and temporal analysis of the resulting artifact distributions. The 5 mechanically excavated trenches provided long profile cross sections in numerous locations across the site, which enhanced the understanding of the site stratigraphy and presented new target locations for exploration. Such trenches also identified locations where depositional integrity was absent and thus further survey would be unnecessary. The Phase II survey also sought to identify features with the potential to address research questions posed in the data recovery work plan, particularly those related to the development of the site and the building chronology. The Phase II survey identified a total of 17 cultural features, which included, posts, builder’s trenches, pathways, foundations, floors, pipe trenches, and buried tanks. The features provided insight into the built environment that formed the landscape of the Brumbaugh-Kendle-Grove farmstead. Last, the Phase II survey effort helped to delineate areas that needed to be examined during the Phase III data recovery. Testing these areas prior to mechanical stripping was important to ensure that a sample of all the strata that made up the depositional history of the site was accounted for prior to the mechanical stripping. Phase II archaeological testing provided a wealth of archaeological data and greatly increased the understanding of the farmstead. As with the Phase IB testing, the excavations undertaken in the south and western yards of the brick farmhouse continued to produce the highest volume of artifacts. However, the Phase II testing in most areas identified features and contexts that provided not only information about the site but presented new targets for the Phase III excavation. The north lawn of the brick farmhouse was sampled via the TUs in Area 1 in addition to Trench 1 and 2. These excavations led to the discovery that the north lawn was a historically prepared and graded yard surface that capped an earlier eighteenth-century ground surface. Excavations in this location also demonstrated the presence of several path features, which was notable as paths led to other locations. As some of these paths seemed to head toward the structurally vacant middle of the yard between the house and the barn, chasing out these paths in the hope of identifying former outbuilding became a goal for the Phase III effort. The excavations in Area 2 in the west lawn of the house suggested that this area was principally used as a midden dating back as far as the late eighteenth century. Artifact density suggested that this deposit continued further west than the area sampled within Area 2, so this western yard became another target for the subsequent Phase III effort. The Area 2 excavations also identified two builder’s trenches associated with the rear ell basement, linking these two deposits to the two observed construction phases seen in the walls and enabling the phasing of the construction to be better understood. Excavations in the south lawn, which consisted of the TUs in Area 4 and Trench 4, suggested that the area immediately to the south of the rear ell porch on the brick farmhouse was the site of a former structure, Feature 6, of which the south and east walls had been located. The presence of this structure raised a variety of questions about the structure’s size, shape, age, and relationship to the standing building. As only two walls of the structure were encountered in Area 4, finding the western wall to this structure became a primary focus of the Phase III excavation. Excavations in the northwest yard around Area 3 produced no new evidence of structural features and only limited dating evidence for the standing structures such as the smokehouse and chickenhouse. This was because many of these outbuildings were built with foundations sitting directly on top of bedrock outcrops, making the archaeological traces of their construction and occupation ephemeral. Some evidence of midden activity in the yard just north of the summer kitchen was encoun
External Reference Codes
Library ID Numbers: