Phase II and Phase III Archaeological Database and Inventory
18PR510 Willow Grove
Diagnostic Artifact Data
Features
Summary
The Willow Grove Site (18PR510) is the archeological remains of a late 18th-late 20th century plantation core in the north-central portion of Prince George’s County, Maryland. It was once the home of the prominent Bowie family and is located near the community of Collington. Prehistoric lithic scatters are also present at the site, but do not comprise a significant component. Several historic structural ruins associated with the former plantation are scattered across the site area. These are situated on topographic rises (the end of narrow finger ridges and a T1 alluvial terrace) in close proximity to intermittent streams and wetlands that drain to the Collington Branch of the Patuxent River. The entire historic occupation area was very heavily overgrown at the time the site was first examined archeologically, since the property had not been occupied since the mid-1970s when the manor house burned. This secondary re-growth included small hardwoods, greenbrier, American holly, poison ivy, and assorted vines. Soils at the site consist of Collington and Shrewsbury fine sandy loams.
The site was first examined archeologically in 1996 during the course of a Phase I survey prior to construction of a new housing development. Development plans for the “Westwood Development” called for the construction of houses and roads, and the installation of utilities. Grading and construction were to have an adverse impact upon the integrity of any cultural resources within the project area. As a result, Phase I work was carried out pursuant to Condition 13 of a Prince George’s County Planning Board Resolution which called for consideration of archeological deposits during the permitting and subdivision process.
The Phase I survey encompassed an approximately 26 acre zone that originally formed the core area of the plantation. A total of 304 shovel tests were excavated at 15 m intervals, 50 of which yielded cultural materials. Each shovel test pit (STP) measured approximately 35 cm in diameter and was excavated to a depth of 40 cm or 10 cm into sterile subsoil. Soils were removed by natural strata and were screened through hardware mesh. The positive STPs generally clustered around the surface remains of at least 14 structures that also were identified during the survey. The structural features included the disarticulated remnants of the Willow Grove manor house (PG:71A-11), 5 partially intact foundations (possible dwellings) lying at distances ranging from 90 to 300 m from the plantation house location, and the remains of 8 outbuildings or well structures (some in close association with residential structures, others more isolated).
The manor house was originally a large, two-storey, Federal-style frame house, built in 3 sections. The main section had a large, brick, double-end chimneys on the east-end. The bases were enclosed by a low, one-storey kitchen wing that had a large external stone chimney. Adjoining the main section, on the west, was a lower, two-storey wing of similar styling. The manor house was destroyed in a fire in the mid 1970s, but had already been documented as part of a Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). Four of the outbuilding structures were still standing in 1996, including a barn, a chicken coop, and animal shelter, and a garage. Together, the structures, surface features, and culturally positive shovel tests comprise the multi-locus archeological site 18PR510, measuring approximately 288 X 412 m in size.
The artifacts recovered during Phase I work included 1 activity item (a toy dish), 20 architectural artifacts, 40 kitchen-related artifacts, and 2 miscellaneous objects (unidentified metal items). The architectural artifacts include 4 pieces of brick, an architectural stone, 6 pieces of window glass, and 9 nails (3 cut, 4 wire, and 2 unidentified). The Phase I kitchen assemblage consisted of 18 ceramic sherds (1 pearlware, 3 later porcelain, 1 ironstone, 7 whiteware, 3 yelloware, 1 redware, 1 domestic brown stoneware, and 1 miscellaneous stoneware), and 22 pieces of glass (1 table glass fragment, a milk glass lid liner, 3 dark green bottle glass fragments, 1 blown-in-mold bottle fragment, and 16 machine-made bottle pieces). The diagnostic artifacts represent only the last stage of the site’s occupation. Since the manor house is known (see archival discussion below) to have been built during the late 18th century, it is likely that material from the earliest period of occupation was deposited in pits or other features that were not encountered by the 15 m shovel test survey. The artifacts associated with the small partially intact foundations suggest occupation beginning in the 19th century and extending well into the 20th century.
Based on the Phase I survey findings, a Phase II study was carried out at the site in 2000. As part of that research and subsequent Phase III work, a full archival background study was carried out. Archival research reveals that the Willow Grove plantation was established by Walter Bowie, Sr. sometime prior to 1785 (based on references to the birth of his son at Willow Grove in that year). He was a wealthy man who initially owned an interest in a large commercial business which shipped tobacco directly from Queen Anne County to Europe and imported merchandise from England and India. A structure with the name “Bowie” appears in the general location of the site on a 1794 map of the state. However, due to the large number of Bowies in the area, it is not certain if the notation refers to Willow Grove. The 1798 Federal tax records indicate that the 962 acre plantation consisted of the main dwelling, a kitchen, a meat house, four slave houses, two tenant houses, seven tobacco houses, and two corn houses. At the time of the taxation, Walter Bowie Sr. had 56 slaves. He was prominent in Maryland politics and assisted in the framing of the first Constitution of Maryland. He served in the State Legislature and the State Senate. He also served as a commissioned Colonel in the militia. He married Mary Brookes, had six children, and died in 1810.
The youngest son of Walter Bowie, Sr., Walter Bowie Jr., was born at Willow Grove in 1785. He inherited the plantation from his father in 1811 and married Amelia Margaret Weems in 1812. Walter Bowie, Jr. is thought to have been a typical country gentleman of the period. He was appointed justice of the peace and was a delegate to various county conventions. He and Amelia, whom he named executrix in his will, had six children. Walter Bowie, Jr. died suddenly on April 24th, 1839 and was buried at Willow Grove. His wife Amelia died on January 7th, 1852. She was also buried at Willow Grove. The 1820 Federal Census lists Walter Jr. as owning 46 slaves and in 1828 he was taxed for a total of 572 acres some of which was clearly improved based on the valuation of the land. By the time he was taxed in 1836, he held a little over 895 acres and owned 55 slaves.
Walter’s oldest son, Walter William Weems (W.W.W.) Bowie inherited the property upon his father’s death but, having a farm elsewhere, did not reside there. W.W.W. Bowie was born in 1814 and died in 1891. He and his wife Adeline Snowden, whom he married in 1836, had seven children. Though W.W.W. Bowie eventually sold the property, both he and his wife, as well as three on their children were buried at Willow Grove. Deeds indicate that W.W.W. Bowie and his wife sold 217.25 acres, recorded as “Locust Grove” to a Marsham Waring for $15,190 in 1859. Marsham was the father of Elizabeth Bowie, who was the wife of Richard Bowie (the brother of W.W.W. Bowie). An 1861 map of Maryland illustrates the property with a single structure and Richard Bowie’s name. By 1878, illustrated maps show several structures under the name “Mrs. Richard W. Bowie”. The 1840 census listed two “free-colored persons” among Walter’s household in addition to his 63 slaves, but it is not known whether this represents the Willow Grove property, or the other plantation he held (on which he actually resided). By 1860, he only owned 28 slaves, suggesting that the earlier census may have included slaves belonging to his recently deceased father in the count, which were subsequently divided up amongst the heirs.
Richard Bowie was the third child of Walter Bowie, Jr. He was born at Willlow Grove in 1823. He was educated at St. John’s College and became a farmer who, at intervals, engaged in politics. Richard married Elizabeth Waring in 1852 and they had one daughter. Richard Bowie died at Willow Grove in 1897 and was buried there. His wife died in 1882. In the 1867-1868 Freedom Records it is Elizabeth L Bowie, not Richard, who claimed ownership of a total of 29 slaves in 1860. Three of those emancipated slaves (Jacob Jones, Martha Sprigg, and Polly Sprigg) still resided at Willow Grove according to the 1870 Federal Census. These former slaves and their families appear in later records as “black” tenants on the property.
A map published in 1894 indicates that Richard and Elizabeth’s daughter Amelia Mary Bowie Belt was the property owner. This map lists the property as being 300 acres with two structures. A 1903 USGS map and 1938 aerial photographs indicate several subsidiary structures on the property during the time of Amelia Mary Bowie Belt’s tenure on the property. Amelia Belt, who married Benjamin Lee Belt, died at Willow Grove in 1935. Through deeds and maps it is evident that Willow Grove was not subdivided during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Thus, it was deemed a strong possibility that several of the subsidiary structures indicated on maps from the late 19th and early 20th century may have originally served as housing for the slaves who worked the plantation during the antebellum period, and were late in use as tenant houses.
The archival study provided one additional pertinent detail about the history of the Willow Grove plantation. It is clear from the records that several members of the Bowie family were buried in a family plot at the plantation. Archival records reveal that the remains of W.W.W. Bowie, his parents, wife, and a number of his children were removed to a cemetery at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in 1985. The first marked interment occurred in 1837 and the last in 1897. Research at Holy Trinity and discussions with Bowie family descendents and a funeral home director indicated that the family cemetery was originally located about 73 meters from the manor house, between the manor house and the extant garage. The funeral home hired to move the burials indicated that 10 individuals were moved, several from brick vaults. The remains were described as being in poor condition. No information concerning potential slave or tenant burials could be obtained.
Phase II fieldwork at 18PR510 included extensive subsurface testing of the manor house, an associated ice house, and two of the outbuildings as well as shovel testing at four structural foundations likely associated with tenants and/or slaves on the property. A surface reconnaissance was also conducted in the reported area of the former cemetery, but no evidence of the cemetery was encountered.
Fieldwork began with the removal of the extremely dense vegetation that covered the site using a bush hog, bulldozer, and backhoe as well as with hand tools. Subsequent to the ground clearing the entire surface area was examined for evidence of overslope disposal as well as additional structural remains. Shovel test units were then placed at 5 meter intervals surrounding structures identified during Phase I. These locations included the area surrounding the manor house and 4 of the 5 structures tentatively identified as dwellings during Phase I work (named Structures 2, 3, 4, and 5). These had exhibited light artifact scatters during the Phase I survey. No additional testing was proposed around the outbuildings identified during Phase I or at Structure 1. A total of 271 shovel tests were ultimately excavated. STPs measured approximately 35 cm in diameter and extended into natural subsoil or to the limit of practical excavation, whichever was shallower. All manually excavated soil was passed through hardware cloth to ensure uniform recovery of cultural materials.
The clearing of the vegetation at the site revealed a large cellar hole at the manor house measuring approximately 10 X 16 meters (32 X 52 ft) in size into which a great deal of demolition debris had been placed. A large mortared stone fireplace was exposed in the center of the depression and a large pile of brick rubble on the northern side. A row of boxwoods was situated along a fence to the north and a concrete walkway (only visible in a few small areas) was identified to the southeast. This led to a very large circular depression, tentatively identified as an icehouse. In addition to the cultural features exposed near the manor house, two additional structures were identified as a result of the vegetation removal and shovel testing (Structures 6 and 7). Structure 6 appeared to actually be two collapsed wooden structures, likely animal enclosures, located on a small knoll southeast of the manor house. A square concrete-lined well and pump were identified just to the south. To the west of Structure 6 was Structure 7, which was entirely unidentifiable due to deterioration of the building.
Based on the results of the Phase II STP survey, a series of three 1 X 1 m test units was excavated to more fully reveal any cultural features associated with the manor house’s use. Excavation proceeded by natural stratigraphy. The exposed surfaces of cultural features, such as postholes, trash pits, storage pits, or shaft features, exposed during excavation were mapped, recorded and photographed. Complete excavation of features was not considered appropriate at the Phase II level of investigation. No 1 X 1 m units were placed in the vicinity of the other structures or outbuildings.
Excavations in the area of the manor house recovered artifacts dating back to the 18th century, the known period of construction of this dwelling. While later periods of occupation will tend to mask earlier periods there does appear to be a substantial remnant of the early occupation remaining in the yard area of the manor house. Excavation of 1 X 1 m units revealed at least two features in the yard area: a row of unmortared bricks and associated posthole and a 50 cm wide mortared stone wall. While no testing was conducted in the cellar itself due to the extensive infilling of demolition debris , based on the excavation of similar structures in Prince George’s County, features and artifact deposits associated with occupation of the Willow Grove manor house could be expected within the cellar. The archeological locus associated with the manor house foundation and ice house depression measures approximately 50 meters east to west and 52 meters north to south. The locus boundary was drawn to include structural remains, positive shovel test units, and topographic conditions associated with the occupation of the manor house.
Examination in the area of Structure 2 revealed a stone foundation measuring 7.3 X 5.4 m (24 X 18 ft) surrounded by a light scatter of sheet refuse that included artifacts possibly dating from the late 18th and early 19th century. A standing stone and brick chimney is located at the northwestern end of the structure. The fireplace measured 152 cm across and 78 cm deep and was supported along the top by two iron straps running the width of the fireplace. At some point a hole was cut in the center front of the chimney, likely to accept exhaust from a wood stove. The artifacts suggest that Structure 2 retains elements of its occupation by member of the enslaved workforce of this plantation in addition to later tenant occupants. The archeological locus associated with the Structure 2 foundation measures approximately 30 m east to west and 21 m north to south.
Examination of Structure 3 revealed a two-room mortared stone foundation with a frame addition, and a heavy surface scatter of 20th century debris. The stone foundation measured 4.2 X 10.4 m (14 X 34 ft) with a brick hearth between the two rooms. The collapsed frame addition measured 3.5 X 6.4 m (12 X 20 ft). Artifacts appear to date from the late 19th century and into the mid-20th century and are likely related to a tenant occupation of the structure.
Examination in the area of Structure 4 revealed a mortared stone foundation measuring 7.3 X 8.5 m (24 X 28 ft) with steps facing southeast surrounded by a light scatter of sheet refuse, a circular concrete capped well, a frame chicken house, and an outbuilding. A number of artifacts dating to the late 18th or early 19th century were recovered from this area and, as with Structure 2, appear to be associated with slaves as well as tenant farmers. This structure complex measures approximately 40 m in diameter.
Examination of Structure 5 revealed a mortared stone foundation measuring 4.8 X 6.8 meters (16 X 22 ft) with an attached 2.4 meter (8 ft) lean-to. Heavy over-slope deposition was encountered to the west of the foundation with lighter deposition to the north. There appeared to be a temporal difference in the deposits surrounding the foundation, with later material being deposited to the west and earlier material to the north. This structure also appears to be associated with both slave and tenant occupations. The locus associated with Structure 5 measures approximately 36 meters east to west and 35 meters north to south.
Artifacts encountered during the Phase II excavations at 18PR510 include 27 activity items, 298 architectural objects, 190 kitchen-related artifacts, and 12 miscellaneous objects. The activity items were 25 pieces of lamp glass, an iron weight, and a piece of barbed wire. The architectural objects include 12 pieces of brick, 4 asphalt roof tiles, a piece of roof slate, 2 fragments of lime mortar, 15 pieces of plaster, a fragment of concrete, 148 window glass pieces, a piece of lumber, 112 nails (102 cut, 7 wire, and 3 unidentified), a spike, and a fragment of sewerage pipe. The kitchen-related artifacts were 69 ceramic sherds (1 tin-enamelled earthenware, 3 creamware, 4 pearlware, 5 19th century porcelain, 3 19th century ironstone, 3 20th century ironstone, 30 whiteware, 4 redware, 13 domestic gray stoneware, 1 miscellaneous stoneware, and 2 unidentified ceramics), 103 pieces of glass (4 pieces of table glass, 1 free-blown bottle, 13 blown-in-mold container glass, and 38 machine-made container pieces, 47 unidentified container glass pieces), 13 animal bones, 4 pieces of oyster shell, and a bone utensil handle. The miscellaneous objects were 3 unidentified metal objects, 2 other glass fragments, a rubber fragment, and 6 pieces of coal.
Based on the results of the Phase II testing, the site was determined to be significant and eligible for listing on the NRHP. Further consideration was given to the planning and execution of the housing development activities as a result of these findings. Researchers would return to the site in 2003 and 2004 to conduct Phase III data recovery as a means of site mitigation.
The Phase III work was geared primarily towards examination of 1) the manor house foundation and icehouse, 2) the foundation of Structure 2, 3) the foundation of Structure 4, and 4) the foundation of Structure 5. Other portions of the site were examined as well, but not in as much detail. In addition to the archival work, a metal detector survey was conducted at all four loci, as well as the excavation of a substantial sample of subsurface materials throughout the site.
Metal detection survey was conducted in a systematic fashion using standard equipment and by walking transects with a sweep of approximately 1.5 meters centered on transects 1.5 meters apart. Initially this was a non-intrusive survey, in that all positive ‘hits’ were recorded with pin flags to establish the pattern of subsurface metallic artifacts within each of the four loci at Willow Grove. This patterning served as a basis for loci specific maps and for the subsequent hand excavation of test units.
The primary method of subsurface investigation was to excavate test units (e.g., 1 X 1 meter squares) to culturally-sterile subsoil. These units were clustered in large blocks to expose and examine activity areas, architecture, and other patterns of site use. Test units were excavated in 10 cm arbitrary levels within natural stratigraphy to sterile subsoils, and all sediments were screened through hardware cloth to recover artifacts. Any subsurface features identified were then plotted, bisected, and individually documented. Scale drawings were made of one vertical wall profile for each unit and digital photographs of all wall profiles. A total of 113 one meter square test units were excavated across the site. Additional methods utilized during Phase III work, albeit with much less frequency, include the excavation of more than 50 STPs, 4 mechanical trenches, and 4 controlled surface collections in the vicinity of the 4 loci.
In the case of the manor house, mechanical equipment had to be used prior to excavation to remove the deposit of rubble overlaying the manor house area. These operations were closely monitored by qualified field archeologists to ensure that cultural deposits were not inadvertently disturbed, and the operations were recorded with photographs and field notes. Subsequently, up to 50% of the estimated total areas (ca. 80 m2) of the manor house foundation and the Icehouse area were investigated by hand excavation of test units. Also, test units were placed in the yard areas surrounding these structural remnants to investigate potential subsurface features or other foundations. These excavations exposed up to 2% of the total site area (ca. 52m2) estimated for this locus. A similar strategy was employed at the remaining loci. However, in these areas no mechanical removal was required, and only 25% of the structural foundations (ca. 12 m2) and 1% of their yard areas (ca. 9 m2) were investigated by hand excavation of test units.
Excavations in the manor house were distributed to sample the original manor house and cellar, the west addition, the area of the front porch, the front yard, the backyard, the icehouse, and several subsidiary structures. In the process it was determined that two of the subsidiary structures located closest to the manor house were a kitchen and a meat house. Midden deposits were encountered and in the backyard, which yielded a mixture of domestic and architectural materials dating from the early to late 19th century. Excavation in the vicinity of the Icehouse revealed that at some point during Phase II and III work and unauthorized mechanical excavation of the icehouse (i.e. looting) had occurred. Work in this area primarily entailed screening the backfill of the looters pit, which (due to the disturbance) did not result in any evidence that could verify the assertion that the structure actually was an icehouse. However, excavation nearby did reveal the unexpected remains of an apparent blacksmith’s shop (which may date back to antebellum times) and associated outbuildings. A well was also identified in heavy underbrush to the south of the structure.
Artifacts encountered during the course of excavation of the aforementioned features and the manor house include 350 activity items, 14,210 architectural artifacts, 14 clothing items, 30 pieces of furniture, 5,430 kitchen-related artifacts, 25 personal items, 37 tobacco-related objects, 3 arms items, 159 miscellaneous objects, and 16 prehistoric items. The activity items were 2 toys (plastic gun caps and toy figurine), 164 pieces of lamp glass, 33 lamp shade fragments, 2 file frame holders, 18 pieces of windshield glass, a copper washer, a metal spring, 2 iron hooks, 2 iron handles, 2 sauter fragments, a mousetrap hinge, 2 clasps, a piece of farm machinery, a farm implement, 3 farm/plow blades, 42 possible pail/bucket fragments, 15 pieces of barbed wire, 2 horseshoes, and 56 flowerpot fragments. Architectural artifacts include 8 brick fragments, 10 asphalt shingles, 129 pieces of tin roofing, 2 mortar fragments, 5 pieces of plaster, 10,498 window glass fragments, 8 pieces of turned wood, 9 lumber fragments, 6 window/door screen pieces, 3,422 nail fragments (1,235 cut, 312 wire, 198 wrought, and 1,677 unidentified), 7 spikes, 12 screws, 17 hinges, 2 door handles/pulls, an eye hook lock, 2 iron latches, a window shutter latch, an iron post, 19 pieces of sewage pipe, 47 toilet/sink fragments, 3 iron pipes and a lead pipe. The clothing remains were 9 buttons (1 iron, 3 copper, 1 porcelain, 2 glass, 1 bone, and 1 plastic), a leather shoe part, scissors, a clothing rivet, and 2 copper belt buckles. The thirty furniture items were 28 stove pipe fragments, an upholstery tack, and a mattress spring. The kitchen-related artifacts included 758 ceramic sherds (26 tin-enamelled earthenware, 15 lead-glazed, 1 Jackfield, 49 miscellaneous earthenware, 112 creamware, 77 pearlware, 87 porcelain, 1 ironstone, 125 whiteware, 2 yelloware, 46 redware, 3 Rockingham, 4 domestic brown stoneware, 17 domestic gray stoneware, 1 English Brown stoneware, 4 Rosso Antico stoneware, 187 miscellaneous stoneware, and 1 unidentified), 3,904 pieces of glass (188 table glass fragments, 3 glass lid liners, 88 free-blown bottle shards, 63 blown-in-mold bottle glass, 4 pressed bottle fragments, 3,558 miscellaneous container glass shards), 5 bottle caps, a mason jar gasket, 3 beer/soda can parts, 4 pull tab can tops, a spoon, 749 faunal objects (12 eggshells, 549 pieces of animal bone, 2 possible tusks, and 186 oyster shell fragments), and 5 hickory/nutshells. Personal items were 22 mirror fragments, a glass perfume bottle stopper, a Christmas ornament, and a medic alert bracelet. The 37 tobacco-related artifacts were 21 kaolin pipe stems, 11 kaolin pipe bowls, and 5 bowl and stem fragments. Arms objects were a French gunflint, a British Gunflint, and a shotgun shell casing. The miscellaneous historic items include 48 unidentified pieces of metal, 13 mica fragments, 42 glass fragments, a tin label, 5 pieces of plastic, 43 snail shells, 2 pieces fo coal, and 5 pieces of coal slag. The prehistoric artifacts encountered during excavation were 8 quartz flakes, 4 rhyolite flakes, 3 pieces of quartz shatter, and a piece of fire-cracked-rock.
Remnants of the former Bowie family cemetery were located northeast of the manor house and to the east of what remained of a formal garden (remnants of decorative trees and hedges). These cemetery remnants consisted of uncovered portions of a large brick vault, from which the remains had apparently been removed, 1 human distal femur, an unidentified bone, 2 cut nails, a piece of cut marble, and an unidentified object. Based on stylistic cues, the vault was deemed likely to be that of Richard Bowie Jr., who had been interred in 1897. No additional remains or burial shafts were found, and it appears that the other Bowie burials were successfully relocated n 1895.
The remains of a tobacco barn was investigated, the structure designated “Structure 1” at the time of the Phase I survey. This building is located approximately 100 m west of the manor house on a finger ridge overlooking an unnamed intermittent tributary. The extant structural remains of this barn include a mortared brick foundation, corrugated sheet metal roofing, handmade and machined external brick, and a chimney at the southeast gable end. The surviving foundation measures 4.6 X 4.6 meters (15 X 15 ft). Fourteen of the shovel tests fell in this area around Structure 1. Artifacts encountered near Structure 1 include 4 activity items (a bicycle part and 3 pieces of lamp glass), 43 architectural artifacts (1 piece of window glass, a piece of lumber, 13 cut nails, 1 wrought nail, 26 unidentified nails, and a screw), 62 kitchen-related artifacts (container glass), 1 personal item (a penny), an arms object (a shotgun shell), and 1 miscellaneous object (a piece of coal). The evidence suggested that the barn was likely in use from the 18th century through to the mid-late 20th century.
The remains of two additional 20th century structures were also encountered during the examination of the manor house locus and examined through shovel test-pitting. The first was the remains of a one storey frame garage fitted with horizontal wood siding. This structure measured roughly 4 X 4.9 meters (13 X 16 ft) and was investigated by a series of 14 shovel test pits. Artifacts encountered include 93 architectural objects (1 piece of metal roofing, 11 cut nails, 1 wire nail, and 80 unidentified nails) and 11 kitchen-related artifacts (a porcelain sherd and 10 pieces of container glass). The other 20th century structure was initially visible as a series of wooden posts. No discernible foundation was encountered and the structure appeared to be most consistent with an ephemeral building like a chicken coop or animal pen. Artifacts encountered n the vicinity of this structure included 1 activity item (a flowerpot sherd), 21 architectural objects (wire nails), and 17 kitchen-related artifacts (1 miscellaneous earthenware sherd, 3 pearlware sherds, 1 porcelain sherd, 3 whiteware sherds, 2 Rockingham sherds, 4 miscellaneous stoneware sherds, and 3 pieces of container glass).
Structure 2 was partially examined during Phase II work and thought to possibly be a former slave dwelling . Phase III work near Structure 2 involved the excavation of ten 1 X 1 m test units. One of those units consisted of a 25% representative soils sample removed and screened from a back dirt pile located next to a looter’s hole in the central portion of the structure’s interior. Four of the test units were placed in the interior of the foundation and the remaining 6 were placed outside of the structure in the surrounding yard. The most important findings of the excavations near Structure 2 were the discovery of an in-filled root cellar feature and evidence of a late 19th century addition to the structure. Analysis of the recovered architectural materials indicates that the original structure was likely built in the late 18th or very early 19th century (likely around 1810 based on archival evidence). The root cellar artifact assemblage lacks any evidence of Post-Civil War use, suggesting that it ceased to be used sometime prior to emancipation. A significant modification to the footprint of the structure occurred in the late 19th or possibly the early 20th century when the dwelling was doubled in its overall dimensions to the full 7.3 X 5.4 m (24 X 18 ft) structure noted during Phase II work. The addition rested on what turned out to be poured concrete pillars rather than the mortared fieldstone that the antebellum building rested upon. The distribution of recovered artifacts supports this interpretation, as few domestic artifacts were found in the structure’s northern half, the probable parlor, while the southern half, which likely became the hall, yielded a larger and more diverse assemblage. A midden was also located in the yard area.
Artifacts encountered at Structure 2 include 16 activity items, 555 architectural artifacts, 23 clothing items, a furniture item (a drawer pull), 759 kitchen-related artifacts, 15 personal artifacts, 10 tobacco-related artifacts (6 kaolin pipe stems and 4 kaolin pipe bowls), 1 arms object (a bullet casing), 12 miscellaneous objects (6 unidentified pieces of metal, 2 slate fragments, 2 unidentified lithic fragments, and 2 snail shells), and 3 prehistoric artifacts (a quartz scraper, a quartzite flake, and a rhyolite flake). The activity items were 2 ceramic doll legs, 2 clay marbles, 7 pieces of lamp glass, a lamp shade fragment, an iron ring, a piece of chain, a wrench, and a piece of flowerpot. The architectural remains consist of 7 pieces of tin roofing, 2 architectural slate fragments, 87 pieces of window glass, 454 nails (16 cut, 18 wire, 1 wrought, and 419 unidentified), 2 spikes, a bolt, a hinge, and a ceramic insulator. The clothing objects include 21 buttons (3 copper, 4 shell, 10 glass, 3 bone, and 1 Bakelite), 1 pair of scissors, and a clothing rivet. The kitchen assemblage consisted of 92 ceramic sherds (10 miscellaneous earthenware, 4 creamware, 21 pearlware, 2 porcelain, 1 ironstone, 43 whiteware, 1 yelloware, and 10 miscellaneous stoneware), 332 pieces of glass (6 pieces of table glass and 326 miscellaneous container glass fragments), a Mason jar gasket, a bone knife handle, a fork, 271 faunal remains (), and 61 hickory nuts/shel
|