Public Access

Maryland Archaeological Synthesis Database

Phase II and Phase III Archaeological Database and Inventory
18FR984    Glenda's Yard

Site Data
Site Number: 18FR984
Site Name: Glenda's Yard
Other name(s):  
Prehistoric:
Historic:
Unknown:
Brief Description: Mid-late 19th and early-mid 20th century farmstead
Site Location and Environmental Data
Latitude: 39.36
Longitude: -77.22
Elevation:  
Site slope: 6%
Maryland Archaeo Research Unit No.: 17
SCS soil & sediment code: MeC
Physiographic province: Lancaster/Frederick Lowland
Terrestrial site:
Underwater site:
Ethnobotany profile:
Maritime site:
Site setting: -Site Setting restricted -Lat/Long accurate to within 1 sq. mile, user may need to make slight adjustments in mapping to account for sites near state/county lines or streams
Topography
Floodplain:
Hilltop/bluff:
Interior flat:
Upland flat:
Ridgetop:
Terrace:
Low terrace:
High terrace:
Rockshelter/cave:
Hillslope:
Unknown:
Other:
Other Text:  
Ownership
Private:
Federal:
State of MD:
Regional/county/city:
Unknown:
Nearest Surface Water
Name (if any): Unnamed tributary of Bush Creek
Saltwater
Ocean:
Estuary/tidal river:
Tidewater/marsh:
Freshwater
Stream/river:
Swamp:
Lake or pond:
Spring:

Min distance to water:
123 meters
Temporal Contextual Data
Paleoindian:  
Archaic:  
Early Archaic:  
Middle Archaic:  
Late Archaic:  
Woodland:  
MD Adena:  
Early Woodland:  
Middle Woodland:  
Late Woodland:  
Unknown prehistoric:  
Contact period site:  
ca. 1630 - 1675:  
ca. 1675 - 1720:  
ca. 1720 - 1780:  
ca. 1780 - 1820:  
ca. 1820 - 1860:  
ca. 1860 - 1900: Y
ca. 1900 - 1930: Y
Post 1930: Y
Unknown historic:  
Unknown context:  

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Ethnic Associations (historic only)
Native American:  
African American:  
Anglo-American: Y
Hispanic:  
Asian American:  
Unknown:  
Other:  
Other Text:  

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Site Function Contextual Data
Prehistoric
Multi-component:
Village:
Hamlet:
Base camp:
Rockshelter/cave:
Earthen mound:
Cairn:
Burial area:
Misc. ceremonial:
Rock art:
Shell midden:
STU/lithic scatter:
Quarry/extraction:
Fish weir:
Production area:
Unknown:
Other PH context:
 
Historic
Urban/Rural?:
Rural
Domestic:
Homestead:
Farmstead:
Mansion:
Plantation:
Row/townhome:
Cellar:
Privy:
Industrial:
Mining-related:
Quarry-related:
Mill:
 
Black/metalsmith:
Furnace/forge:
Other industrial:
 
Transportation:
Canal-related:
Road/railroad:
Wharf/landing:
Maritime-related:
Bridge:
Ford:
Educational:
Commercial:
Trading post:
Store:
Tavern/inn:
Military:
Battlefield:
Fortification:
Encampment:
Townsite:
Unknown:
Other hist context:
 
Interpretive Sampling Data
Prehistoric context samples
Soil samples taken:  
Flotation samples taken:  
Other samples taken:  
Historic context samples
Soil samples taken: N
Flotation samples taken: N
Other samples taken:  

Diagnostic Artifact Data

Projectile Point Types
Clovis:  
Hardaway-Dalton:  
Palmer:  
Kirk (notch):  
Kirk (stem):  
Le Croy:  
Morrow Mountain:  
Guilford:  
Brewerton:  
Otter Creek:  
Koens-Crispin:  
Perkiomen:  
Susquehana:  
Vernon:  
Piscataway:  
Calvert:  
Selby Bay:  
Jacks Reef (notch):  
Jacks Reef (pent):  
Madison/Potomac:  
Levanna:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Sherd Types
Marcey Creek:  
Dames Quarter:  
Selden Island:  
Accokeek:  
Wolfe Neck:  
Vinette:  
Popes Creek:  
Coulbourn:  
Watson:  
Mockley:  
Clemson Island:  
Page:  
Shepard:  
Townsend:  
Minguannan:  
Sullivan Cove:  
Shenks Ferry:  
Moyaone:  
Potomac Creek:  
Keyser:  
Yeocomico:  
Monongahela:  
Susquehannock:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Sherd Types
Earthenware
Astbury:  
Borderware:  
Buckley:  
Creamware:  
Ironstone:  
Jackfield:  
Manganese Mottled:  
North Devon:  
Pearlware: 10
Staffordshire:  
Tin Glazed:  
Whiteware: 122
Porcelain:  
Stoneware
English Brown:  
English Dry-bodied:  
Nottingham:  
Rhenish:  
White Salt-glazed:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Artifacts
Flaked stone:  
Ground stone:  
Stone bowls:  
Fire-cracked rock:  
Other lithics (all):  
Ceramics (all):  
Rimsherds:  
Other fired clay:  
Human remain(s):
Modified faunal:  
Unmodified faunal:  
Oyster shell:
Floral material:
Uncommon Object:  
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Artifacts
Pottery (all): 210
Glass (all): 1219
Architectural: 1349
Furniture: 13
Arms: 6
Clothing: 14
Personal items: 12
Tobacco related:  
Activity item(s): 155
Human remain(s):
Faunal material:
Misc. kitchen: 24
Floral material:
Misc.: 64
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Lithic Material
Jasper:
Chert:
Rhyolite:
Quartz:
Quartzite:
Ferruginous quartzite:
Chalcedony:
Ironstone:
Argillite:
Steatite:
Sandstone:
Silicified sandstone:
European flint:
Basalt:
Unknown:
Other:
 

Features

Dated Features
Dated features present at site:
 
Prehistoric Features
Mound(s):  
Midden:
Shell midden:
Postholes/molds:
House pattern(s):
Palisade(s):
Hearth(s):
Lithic reduction area:
Storage/trash pit:
Burial(s):
Ossuary:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Historic Features
Construction feature:
Foundation:
Cellar hole/cellar:
Hearth/chimney:
Postholes/molds:
Paling ditch/fence:
Privy/outhouse:
Well/cistern:
Trash pit/dump:
Sheet midden:
Planting feature:
Road/walkway:
Depression/mound:
Burial(s):
Railroad bed:
Earthworks:
Mill raceway:
Wheel pit:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Radiocarbon Data
Sample 1:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 2:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 3:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 4:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 5:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 6:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 7: 0 +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 8:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 9:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 

Additional radiocarbon results available:
   
External Samples/Data
Additional raw data may be available online:
Collection curated at MAC
Summary
Glenda’s Yard (18FR984) is the archeological remains of a mid-late 19th and early-mid 20th century farmstead near New Market in rural Frederick County. The site is situated on gently sloping terrain between two unnamed tributaries of Bush Creek to the north and south. A long gravel roadway proceeds through cultivated fields to link the farm house and outbuildings to local roads. The dwelling, a modular home that dates from the 1980s, stands on a pier foundation, presumably over the location of the original farmhouse that was destroyed by fire ca. 1960. There are numerous barns and outbuildings that comprise the modern-day farm complex. The house and outbuildings are in a protected location with higher terrain to the north, west, and east. The driveway encircles this modern house, garden, and a springhouse and serves to separate the domestic portion of the site (house and yard), from the farm buildings and pasture. Five outbuildings (bank barn, chicken coop, granary, barn, and shed) located just outside the driveway loop are oriented towards the driveway. The foundations of a former hog pen and icehouse are also present just outside the loop. A pole barn is located in the pasture to the southwest of the home. Soils at the site are Mount Airy channery loams. The property containing the Glenda’s Yard Site has been definitively traced through chain-of-title research to Francis Engle. Map research confirms that Engle owned the property in 1873. Francis Engle bequeathed this property to his son John Engle in 1925. The description of the property provided in Francis’ will is the only historic legal description provided that contains 18FR984. The description provided in the will states that the property consisted of 197 acres, and was the “home farm” of Francis Engle. This vague legal description makes tracing the property prior to Francis Engle extremely difficult. Further compounding the difficulty of tracing the historic ownership of the 18FR984 parcel is the fact that no prior deeds record Francis Engle acquiring a parcel of 197 acres. However, numerous smaller tracts of land were purchased and sold by the Engle family throughout Frederick County in the early and mid 19th century. The land in the vicinity of 18FR984 was originally patented to Joseph Plummer on March 25th, 1765. The Plummer family was one of the earliest families to settle the region and Joseph’s father, Samuel Plummer, received four land patents from the Land Office of the Colony of Maryland on June 28th, 1743. On November 11th, 1751, Joseph acquired the tract known as “Pleasant Meddo” from his father and began more than a decade effort to add additional lands to his holdings. By the time of the 1765 patent, Joseph had increased the size of his patent to 1,777 acres (including the site), and had the total resurveyed under the name “Land of Promise”. On June 2nd, 1794, Adam Klay (also spelled Clay) patented a new tract of land that combined vacant land that was contiguous to property he owned from the “Land of Promise” tract, and property he owned to the west from “Cowmans Manor” tract. This new tract was resurveyed, and named “Plummers Lick”. This resurveyed land contained 154 acres, and it appears that18FR984 falls within this tract of land, specifically from the part of the property that had once been part of the “Land pf Promise”. In 1790, Adam Klay was listed in the United States Federal Census as the head of a household in Frederick County consisting of two males over the age of 16, four males under the age of 16, and 5 females. The census recorded that he owned no slaves, and no servants resided in the household. A map published in 1794 does not depict any buildings or roads in the vicinity of the site. Furthermore, Adam Klay was listed in the 1796 Maryland Census as residing in Frederick Town. A review of the 1800 Federal Census reveals that Adam Klay resided in Election District 1 (i.e. outside of the site area), suggesting that the property at that time was owned by Adam Klay but possibly uninhabited or rented to tenant farmers. In 1800, Klay was over 45 years old, and his household consisted of one male between the age of 10 and 16, two males between 16 and 25, two females between 10 and 16, one female between 25 and 45, and one female over 45 years old. Again, Adam Klay owned no slaves, and no servants resided in the household. A map was published in 1808 that, again, does not depict any buildings or roads in the vicinity of Site 18FR984. However, a structure owned by an H. McElfresh is depicted to the east of the site indicating the beginning of settlement in the local area. The subsequent Federal Census, conducted in 1810, listed Adam Klay as the head of a household in Frederick County consisting of himself, one female under ten years old, one female between 16 and 25, and one female over 45. By 1820, Adam Klay lived in New Market with one female between the age of 16 and 25, and one female over the age of 45. Of note is that the Federal Census that year recorded nobody in the household as engaged in agriculture, and it appears that, although Adam Klay owned large tracts of land, he was not farming them. Adam Klay died around February 24th, 1825. His Last Will and Testament, penned in 1808, assigned his son George Klay as executor. His will stated that portions of his land would go to his sons George and Samuel and the remaining land would be sold, and the proceeds distributed to his daughters, Anna Baker, Rebeccah Faener, and Elizabeth Klay, as well as to the children of his deceased daughter Mary Rine. Furthermore, the proceeds derived from the selling of his personal estate were to go to his children Anna Klay, Anna Baker, Eve Snider, Susannah Stewart, Rebeccah Faener, Elizabeth Klay, and the children of Mary Rine. George Klay, as administrator of his father’s estate, sold a portion of “Plummers Lick” containing 103.5 acres at auction to John and Rebeckah Fahner on October 11th, 1828. It is probable that the Rebeckah “Fahner” listed on the deed for this transaction was Adam Klay’s daughter listed as Rebeccah “Faener” in his Last Will and Testament. This is further confirmed in the final account of the Frederick County estate docket for Adam Klay, in which the accountant referenced a sale of real estate to John “Fohner”. John and Rebeckah Fahner lived in Montgomery County when they purchased this property. It is possible that the Fahners continued to live in Montgomery County after purchasing the property. However, deed research revealed that eventually John and Rebeckah Fahner transferred their portion of “Plummers Lick” to their son George and his wife Ann. On September 3, 1841, George and Ann Fahner of Frederick County, sold 103.5 acres of Plummers Lick to John W. Engle, Jr. for $500. It is unknown if George and Ann Fahner resided on this piece of property. John W. Engle was born in Maryland ca. 1812. He was the eldest son of John W. Engle, Sr., of Frederick County, who died around June 19, 1838. He had 5 brothers, Jesse, Reubin, William, Joshua, and Lorenzo, and two sisters, Rachel and Lucy. Upon the death of John Engle, Sr. his property was sold and the proceeds went to his abovementioned children. Of note is that one of the witnesses to the will of John Engle, Sr. was George Klay. This may suggest that the Engle family lived near the Klay family in the 1830s. Furthermore, on September 15th, 1838, John W. Engle married Marry Ann Rine. Considering that one of Adam Klay’s deceased daughters was named Mary Rine, this connection may suggest a distant relation through marriage to the Klays. When John Engle, Jr. purchased the portion of “Plummers Lick” from George and Ann Fahner he already resided in the New Market area. While no deeds have been recovered recording land purchased by John W. Engle in the vicinity of 18FR984 prior to his 1841 purchase, a deed was recovered in which he purchased 85.5 acres of land in 1836 to the north of the site out of the “Resurvey on Charles Lott” and “Pretty Sally” tracts. Furthermore, in 1841 he sold 136 acres of land to the south of the site from “Land of Promise” and “Cowman’s Manor” to Jesse Klay. This evidence reveals that John W. Engle owned land in the vicinity of the site that was not recorded by deed conveyance or recorded in the Register of Wills of Frederick County. In 1840, John Engle was the head of a household living in the New Market District with his wife, Mary Ann, who was between the age of 20 and 30, and three children, consisting of one boy between the ages of 5 and 10, and 2 girls under the age of 5. Around the time he purchased the portion of “Plummer’s Lick” from George and Ann Fahner, his son Francis H. Engle was born. The 1850 Federal Census listed John W. Engle as a 38 year old farmer who owned real estate valued at $1,000. His wife Mary Ann was 34 years old. Two of their children lived in their home, Francis H. was 9 years old, and Ann B. was 10. Elizabeth J. Rine, who was 14 years old, also lived in the Engle home. The census does not provide a relation between Elizabeth J. Rine and Mary Ann, whose surname before marrying John W. Engle was Rine. However, Mary Ann’s will, penned in 1882, refers to her daughter Elizabeth Jane Browning. Therefore, it appears that Elizabeth J. is Mary Ann’s daughter from a previous marriage. It is most likely that the two girls listed in the 1850 Census are the same that were listed in the 1840 Census. However, the boy who was listed as being between 5 and 10 in 1840 is no longer present in the household in 1850. It is important to note , that while John Engle purchased 103.5 acres of “Plummers Lick” in 1841, he was recorded as owning 200 acres in the 1850 Agricultural Census. It is plausible that John Engle already owned or added subsequent plots of land adjacent to his “Plummers Lick” purchase. Regardless, by 1850, John Engle was practicing a diversified approach to farming typical of 18th century farmers in the area. Wheat, oats, potatoes, and corn comprised significant components of the farm. The Engle Family was also engaged in the raising of pigs, sheep, and milch cows. The raising and care of livestock was typically conducted by the females on the farm, as well as the production of butter, and the spinning of wool shorn from the sheep. It should also be noted that the Engle farm produced 1,000 pounds of tobacco, which was typically grown as a residual cash crop and was most likely sold at market. A map published in 1858 does not depict any buildings or roads in the vicinity of Site 18FR984, but it appears that not all houses in the area were placed on the map. It is possible that landowners needed to pay for the service of having their dwellings labeled on this map. According to the 1860 Federal Census, John Engle was farming his land with his wife Mary, and their daughter Ann, who was 19 years old. A Howard Engle, age 18, lived in the house and worked as a farm hand. An 8 year old boy named Frank Mores also lived in the house. The relationship between John Engle, Howard Engle, and Frank Mores is not known. However, Francis H. did not live in the household at that time. The 1860 Agricultural Schedule reveals a significant increase in farming activity on the Engle farm. The same wide variety of crops was still being grown in 1860 (with only a couple of exceptions), but the production of wheat, corn, potatoes, and tobacco had drastically increased. The amount of livestock was also increased, with a slight increase in the production of butter. Of particular note, is that the value of the farm increased from $100 in 1850 to $2,000 in 1860, even though the improved acreage decreased. This may suggest the construction of buildings on the farm between 1850 and 1860. In 1861 a map of the areas was published which depicts several structures in the general area, but still no structures in the location of 18FR984. John W. Engle died in 1864. According to probate records, John’s son Francis H acted as administrator of his estate. An inventory sale was recorded on June 1, 1864. Unfortunately, the document that recorded the sale is no longer available. Furthermore, it appears that John W. Engle died intestate, as no will was recorded, and no documents recording the sale of John W. Engle’s real estate were filed. It is assumed that after John’s death, his estate was passed on to his wife Mary Ann, and his son Francis. In 1870, the United States Federal Census listed Francis H. Engle as a 27 year old farmer and the head of a household consisting of his mother Mary, who was 54, and Jane Central, a 24 year old domestic servant. The value of Francis’ real estate was valued at $3,700 and his personal estate was valued at $1,500. His mother’s personal estate was valued at $1,200 and no value of real estate was listed for her. This suggests that Francis had inherited his father’s property. Furthermore, Francis H. Engle’s farm was the subject of the 1870 Federal Agricultural Census. This census revealed that the Engle family continued to practice the same diversified approach to farming as before, but the agricultural output had increased even more. Also of note is that Francis Engle was farming 217 acres in 1870. The emphasis on wheat and corn continued, as did the residual cash crop of tobacco. However, it appears that less of an emphasis was given to the raising of swine and sheep, while the keeping of milk cows for the production of butter remained the same. Some of the extant buildings at the Glenda’s Yard Site, such as the springhouse, bank barn, and granary, were likely used on the farm at this time. Shortly after this census was recorded, a map was published in 1873 that depicts a structure in the location of 18FR984. A second structure is also depicted on this map to the southeast. Both of these structures are labeled as owned by an F. A. Engle. Considering that the chain-of-title for the property containing the site can be directly traced to Francis H. Engle, it is most likely that the F. A. Engle depicted on the map is in fact Francis H. Engle, and the discrepancy is likely due to s simple clerical error by the cartographer. In the 1880 Federal Census, Francis Engle was listed as a 38 year old farmer, and the head of a household consisting of his 26 year old wife Ida M., his two year old son John, his mother Mary (66), and a 19 year old laborer named John Taylor. The census noted that his mother, Mary, was suffering from paralysis. The census also recorded Francis Engle’s property under the agricultural schedule. This record noted that Francis farmed 195 acres, and while his farming activities increased slightly, he was still focused on the production of wheat, corn, and tobacco, and the raising of sheep, swine, and milch cows. The 1880 Agricultural Census was the first census to record poultry, and it was listed that 400 dozen eggs had been produced the year previous. It is most likely that the raising of poultry had been practiced in the few years before, and the extant chicken coop located at 18FR984 dates to this period. Also of importance, is that between the 1870 and 1880 Census the Engle family began to produce orchard fruit, specifically apples. Orchard fruit, livestock, and forest commodities became valuable farm products in Frederick County in the late 19th century. Mary Ann Engle, Francis’ mother, died in 1877. In her will she bequeathed a 50 acre farm in Montgomery County to her daughter Elizabeth Jane Browning, as well as $100 and furniture consisting of a bed and bedstead, two sheets, a blanket, a coverlet, 3 quilts, a breakfast table and table cloth, a chest, and a tea set. To Francis she bequeathed the balance of her personal property with all debts due her. The Federal Census conducted in 1900 recorded a discrepancy in the age of Francis H. Engle. The enumerator recorded his name as Frank H. Engle, and noted his date of birth as August 1857, making him 42 years old at the time of the census. This is a discrepancy of 16 years younger than what was recorded in the previous surveys. Even more puzzling is that there are no discrepancies in the rest of Francis H. Engle’s family, as his wife Ida M. is listed as 45, his son John A. is listed as 22, and a daughter, Norma R., not yet born in 1880, is listed as 16 years old. In 1900, Francis still farmed his land with the help of his son John, and most likely his wife and daughter significantly contributed to the production fo the farm. In 1909, the USGS 15 minute quadrangle map depicted the house and the current configuration of the driveway leading up to the farmhouse at 18FR984. The 1910 Federal Census listed Francis H. Engle as 66 years old, again a discrepancy in years. His wife Ida M. was listed as 55 years old and his daughter Norma R. was listed as 25 years old. The discrepancies in Francis’ age may be due to clerical mistakes by the census recorders. Regardless, by 1910, Francis and his family, excluding John A. Engle, were living in Woodville, in Frederick County. It appears that Francis had retired from farming at this time, as under “occupation”, the recorded had entered “own income”. Francis was most likely generating income from his son, John, who at the time was possibly renting his father’s old farm (18FR984). According to the 1910 Federal Census, John A. Engle was a 32 year old farmer renting his property, and the head of a household residing in the New market District of Frederick County. He was married to Laura G. Engle and together they had a six month old daughter named Mary Ann, apparently named after his grandmother. A year later, in the fall of 1911, John’s father Francis penned his Last Will and Testament, in which he bequeathed to John, “…my home farm, consisting of about one hundred and ninety seven acres, on which he now resides…”. Therefore, it is most likely that John A. Engle was renting his father’s old farm while living on and working the land there. It is important to note that the 1880 Agricultural Census of Francis Engle’s farm noted that he farmed 195 acres, roughly matching the acreage bequeathed to John. The description provided in Francis’ will is the only legal description recorded for the property encompassing the Glenda’s Yard Site, and has made tracing the property before Francis Engle’s ownership extremely difficult. The will also referenced that Francis owned another large farm and a house in Mt. Airy. Francis H. Engle died in 1925, and John A Engle inherited his farm on April 27th, 1925. Francis also bequeathed other parcels of land to his wife Ida M. Engle and his daughter Norma R. Engle. To his wife Ida he bequeathed his home in which they were residing in Mt. Airy, Maryland, and to his daughter Norma he left another farm, referred to as the “Eader” farm located west of the town of New Market. However, codicils to Francis Engle’s Last Will and Testament show that before his death he sold the “Eader” farm. John and Laura Engle continued to buy land adjacent to their already large landholdings, and eventually owned a vast tract of land in the site vicinity. The 1930 Federal Census revealed that John and Laura’s daughter, Mary Ann, had recently married William H. Browning, and both resided in John and Laura’s household. John still farmed his land, now with the help of William H. Browning. The home on the farm was valued at $10,000. No other United States Federal Census records were recovered for John A. Engle. However, his World War II draft registration card was recovered. According to the draft registration, in 1942 John Engle was 64 years old and retired and still resided on his farm. He was 6’ 3” tall weighing 245 pounds with blue eyes and brown hair. A USGS quadrangle map published in 1945 depicts the house and driveway at Site 18FR984. The area around the house is not wooded, suggesting all of the adjacent fields were used for farming. John A. Engle and Laura G. Engle transferred their large landholdings to their daughter Mary Ann Browning and her husband William H. Browning on November 13th, 1947. The deed described numerous parcels of land, including the 197 acre “home farm” containing the site that was inherited by John A. Engle from his father, Francis H. Engle. William and Marianne Browning (as her name came to be spelled) continued to farm their property, and acquired other tracts of land, including other farms, adding to their already large landholdings. William and Marianne had four sons: William, Reyburn, Robert, and Thomas. According to a local informant the original farmhouse at 18FR984 was destroyed by fire ca. 1960. Currently, a ca. 1980 modular home is extant on the site. William Browning died on July 9th, 1980, and bequeathed his estate to his wife Marianne and their children. After William’s death, Marianne conveyed varying shares of her interest in her landholdings to her sons. Marianne Browning died on November 29th, 2000 at the age of 91. Eventually William Browning, Jr., Reyburn Browning, and Robert Browning consolidated their interest in the property containing the site into Browning Brothers Limited Partnership and New Browning Brothers, L.L.C. These corporations subdivide large portions of their landholdings into housing subdivisions. On December 15th, 2008 the PATH Allegheny Transmission Company acquired a large tract of land from Browning Brothers Limited Partnership and New Browning Brothers, LLC which included 18FR984. The site was first examined archeologically in 2008 during the course of a Phase I survey carried out in anticipation of the installation of a 765 kV electrical transmission line from St. Albans, WV to Kemptown, MD and the associated substation infrastructure. This particular Phase I study was specifically associated with the construction of the Kemptown substation of the line. The cultural resource studies were undertaken in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended. The Phase I survey for the Kemptown Substation included the excavation of 1,450 shovel test pits (STPs) in 99 acres of manicured lawns and cultivated fields with reduced ground-surface visibility, as well as systematic pedestrian survey of 23 acres of cultivated fields with ground-surface visibility of at least 75%. Fieldwork identified 3 previously unrecorded historical archeological sites, one of which was the Glenda’s Yard Site (18FR984). Phase I survey of 18FR984 involved the excavation of 48 STPs at 15 m intervals within a low-density domestic occupation associated with a farm that has been continuously occupied since the mid 19th century. Radial STPs were also excavated within the site. STP excavations revealed that the soil stratigraphy was comprised of brown silt loam A horizon capping a yellowish-red silt loam B horizon or subsoil in undisturbed portions of the site. The Phase I study determined that the area immediately south of the pole barn and bank barn was heavily disturbed and lacked intact soils. The shovel testing identified areas of disturbance and intact soils within the core area of the site. In addition, during the Phase I survey, several areas were identified that contained historic archeological deposits. An area of moderate artifact density was found in the yard to the south of the primary dwelling. To the west of the structure, on the opposite side of the oval drive, a particularly high-density artifact concentration was encountered in a CA horizon (disturbed context). Finally, in an area approximately 60 meters west of the domestic complex along the drainage cut of an intermittent stream, a tightly confined high-density artifact cluster was identified. Two positive STPs along this stream contained primarily cut and wire nails, burned wood, and hardware, and may represent secondary deposition of some of the burned structure debris (from the 1960s farmhouse fire). There were no other positive STPs around this location or between this refuse deposit and the farm-building complex. The Phase I site boundary included this localized refuse area. The Phase I survey defined 18FR984 as approximately 2.48 acres with approximately 1 acre falling within the domestic complex of the original house’s former location, the remnant hog pen and icehouse foundations, and several standing structures. The Phase I research yielded 474 historic artifacts, including utilitarian ceramics and tableware, bottle glass, architectural materials (nails, window glass and brick), a variety of hardware, canning jar lid liners, and several toys, suggesting a low artifact density within the site. In 2009, researchers returned to the site to conduct Phase II testing of 18FR984, again, in association with the proposed construction of a Kemptown substation for the regional electric lines. Positive Phase I STPs were relocated, where possible, and were used to aid in the definition of site boundaries. Close interval shovel tests were then excavated to refine these boundaries within the substation project area and to delineate within-site artifact concentrations prior to the excavation of test units. STPs were generally excavated at 4.572 m (15 ft) intervals throughout the site area. A total of 81 close-interval STPs were excavated during the Phase II project. Shovel tests measured 50 cm in diameter and were hand-excavated stratigraphically within natural and cultural horizons, using shovels and trowels, to at least 10 cm into sterile subsoil. Soils were screened through hardware cloth for systematic artifact recovery. For each STP, a standardized form was completed containing provenience date, depth of soil horizons and soil descriptions. STPs were backfilled following excavation, with original ground conditions restored. Following shovel testing, 8 formal test units were excavated at the site in areas of higher artifact density, unusual stratigraphy, or potential cultural features, as indicated by shovel testing results or by surface features. One test unit measured 76 cm by 1.8 meters (2.5 X 6 feet), four measured 76 cm by 1.5 m (2.5 X 5 ft), and three measured 1.5 X 1.5 m (5 X 5 ft). Including both STPs and test units, 18 square meters of the site were excavated. Test units were typically hand-excavated by arbitrary 10 cm levels within natural strata to a minimum depth of 10 cm into the B horizon and 10 cm below the last recovered artifact. Excavated soils were screened through hardware cloth and recovered artifacts were placed in bags labeled with the appropriate provenience information. Select diagnostic artifacts found in situ were point provenienced and bagged separately. Standardized level forms were completed for each level, noting relevant data (provenience information, depth of level, soil description, excavation methods, and numbers and types of artifacts recovered). At the completion of each test unit, measured profiles were drawn and photographs were taken of at least one wall of each test unit. Test unit locations were plotted on site maps and units were backfilled upon completion of site testing. Potential cultural features exposed during test unit excavations were troweled clean to clearly determine boundaries. Feature locations were plotted on the appropriate level forms and on the site map. Digital photographs were taken of the feature in plan view. A detailed plan map of the feature was drawn on a standardized feature form and field data (soil descriptions, feature dimensions, and provenience information) were recorded. The feature fill was screened through hardware cloth for systematic artifact recovery. A measured drawing of the feature profile was recorded on a standardized profile/summary form, noting feature shape, stratigraphy (if present), and soil descriptions. Photographs were taken of the feature profile. Recovered artifacts and samples collected from feature fill were placed in bags labeled with the appropriate provenience information. Phase II investigations revised the site boundary to omit a restricted refuse dump located along a stream in one of the agricultural fields. The site size was revised to 1.36 acres and included the domestic site (house and adjacent yard areas and older buildings facing the circular driveway). The site includes within it areas of significant disturbance associated with the construction of a septic drainage field and other landforming activities. In addition, the demolition and removal of the earlier structure that stood on the site likely further disturbed the yard area. The part of the site that lies to the west of the oval drive has been stripped of it’s a horizon, and archeological deposits in this part of the site area composed entirely of modern fill. The part of the site that appears to retain the most integrity is the part of the yard that lies south of the existing residence, most prominently the area in the vicinity of the springhouse. Excavations identified five cultural features within the site boundaries. These features included four postholes and one concrete foundation remnant. Combined, the Phase I and II research projects at 18FR984 produced 2,883 artifacts. The assemblage from the site consisted of 155 activity items, 1,349 architectural artifacts, 14 clothing-related items (4 belt/strap pieces, 8 fasteners, 1 shoe part, and 1 sewing item), 13 furniture items, 1,269 kitchen-related artifacts, 12 personal objects, 6 arms objects (mostly ammunition shells) and 64 miscellaneous items. The activity items were 10 pieces of lighting glass, 3 auto-related items, 6 containers, 1 flowerpot fragment, 23 heating items, 1 livestock item, 59 hardware objects, 1 manufacturing item, 1 recreation item, 18 toys, 4 transportation-related objects, 4 writing utensils, and 24 other items. The architectural assemblage included 2 pieces of brick, 2 electrical items, 2 pieces of mortar/cement, 1,143 nails or spikes, 1 plumbing item, 13 roofing materials, 184 pieces of window glass, 1 piece of wood, and 1 other item. The kitchen assemblage included 210 ceramic sherds, 6 pieces of table glass, 1,026 container glass fragments, 3 other pieces of glassware, 10 pieces of bone, 5 pieces of shell, and 9 miscellaneous kitchen items. Personal items were 2 coins, 1 cosmetic object, 1 hygiene item, 1 jewelry item, 5 pharmaceutical items, and 2 other personal objects. Included in the ceramic assemblage were 10 pearlware sherds, 1 redware sherd, 122 whiteware sherds, and 8 yelloware sherds. While the yard to the south of the residence, particularly the part nearest the springhouse, appears to retain some depositional integrity, archeological deposits are for the most part diffuse and representative of a palimpsest accumulation over a number of years, with older and more recent artifacts occurring together in the same soil horizons. No artifact-rich contexts representing limited chronological periods, such as trash pits or privies, were identified in this part of the yard. Given that the water source for the residence, the spring or well associated with the springhouse, is located in this part of the site, pit features (particularly privies) would have been less likely to have been placed in this area. There does seem to be some stratification within the A horizon, with earlier whiteware examples somewhat lower in the soil column, but artifact densities were low. It was ultimately determined that 18FR984 did not possess the potential to address important questions relating to the practice of agriculture in 19th century Frederick County. No further research was recommended.
External Reference Codes
Library ID Numbers: