Public Access

Maryland Archaeological Synthesis Database

Phase II and Phase III Archaeological Database and Inventory
18FR788    PORMARC

Site Data
Site Number: 18FR788
Site Name: PORMARC
Other name(s):  
Prehistoric:
Historic:
Unknown:
Brief Description: Late 19th-20th century residential town lots,church & cem., Middle Archaic & Early Woodland lithic scatter
Site Location and Environmental Data
Latitude: 39.28
Longitude: -77.55
Elevation: 70
Site slope: 0-3%
Maryland Archaeo Research Unit No.: 17
SCS soil & sediment code: CgC2,HnA
Physiographic province: Lancaster/Frederick Lowland
Terrestrial site:
Underwater site:
Ethnobotany profile:
Maritime site:
Site setting: -Site Setting restricted -Lat/Long accurate to within 1 sq. mile, user may need to make slight adjustments in mapping to account for sites near state/county lines or streams
Topography
Floodplain:
Hilltop/bluff:
Interior flat:
Upland flat:
Ridgetop:
Terrace:
Low terrace:
High terrace:
Rockshelter/cave:
Hillslope:
Unknown:
Other:
Other Text: Toeslope
Ownership
Private:
Federal:
State of MD:
Regional/county/city:
Unknown:
Nearest Surface Water
Name (if any): Unnamed tributary of Potomac River
Saltwater
Ocean:
Estuary/tidal river:
Tidewater/marsh:
Freshwater
Stream/river:
Swamp:
Lake or pond:
Spring:

Min distance to water:
0 meters
Temporal Contextual Data
Paleoindian:  
Archaic:  
Early Archaic:  
Middle Archaic: Y
Late Archaic:  
Woodland:  
MD Adena:  
Early Woodland: Y
Middle Woodland:  
Late Woodland:  
Unknown prehistoric:  
Contact period site:  
ca. 1630 - 1675:  
ca. 1675 - 1720:  
ca. 1720 - 1780:  
ca. 1780 - 1820:  
ca. 1820 - 1860:  
ca. 1860 - 1900: Y
ca. 1900 - 1930: Y
Post 1930: Y
Unknown historic:  
Unknown context:  

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Ethnic Associations (historic only)
Native American:  
African American:  
Anglo-American: Y
Hispanic:  
Asian American:  
Unknown: Y
Other:  
Other Text:  

Y=Confirmed, P=Possible

Site Function Contextual Data
Prehistoric
Multi-component:
Village:
Hamlet:
Base camp:
Rockshelter/cave:
Earthen mound:
Cairn:
Burial area:
Misc. ceremonial:
Rock art:
Shell midden:
STU/lithic scatter:
Quarry/extraction:
Fish weir:
Production area:
Unknown:
Other PH context:
 
Historic
Urban/Rural?:
Urban
Domestic:
Homestead:
Farmstead:
Mansion:
Plantation:
Row/townhome:
Cellar:
Privy:
Industrial:
Mining-related:
Quarry-related:
Mill:
 
Black/metalsmith:
Furnace/forge:
Other industrial:
 
Transportation:
Canal-related:
Road/railroad:
Wharf/landing:
Maritime-related:
Bridge:
Ford:
Educational:
Commercial:
Trading post:
Store:
Tavern/inn:
Military:
Battlefield:
Fortification:
Encampment:
Townsite:
Unknown:
Other hist context:
 
Interpretive Sampling Data
Prehistoric context samples
Soil samples taken: Y
Flotation samples taken: N
Other samples taken:  
Historic context samples
Soil samples taken: N
Flotation samples taken: N
Other samples taken: Skeletal analysis by Dana Kollmann

Diagnostic Artifact Data

Projectile Point Types
Clovis:  
Hardaway-Dalton:  
Palmer:  
Kirk (notch):  
Kirk (stem):  
Le Croy:  
Morrow Mountain: 1
Guilford:  
Brewerton:  
Otter Creek:  
Koens-Crispin:  
Perkiomen:  
Susquehana:  
Vernon:  
Piscataway:  
Calvert:  
Selby Bay:  
Jacks Reef (notch):  
Jacks Reef (pent):  
Madison/Potomac:  
Levanna:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Sherd Types
Marcey Creek:  
Dames Quarter:  
Selden Island:  
Accokeek: 1
Wolfe Neck:  
Vinette:  
Popes Creek:  
Coulbourn:  
Watson:  
Mockley:  
Clemson Island:  
Page:  
Shepard:  
Townsend:  
Minguannan:  
Sullivan Cove:  
Shenks Ferry:  
Moyaone:  
Potomac Creek:  
Keyser:  
Yeocomico:  
Monongahela:  
Susquehannock:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Sherd Types
Earthenware
Astbury:  
Borderware:  
Buckley:  
Creamware: 3
Ironstone: 189
Jackfield:  
Manganese Mottled:  
North Devon:  
Pearlware: 13
Staffordshire:  
Tin Glazed:  
Whiteware: 542
Porcelain: 139
Stoneware
English Brown:  
English Dry-bodied:  
Nottingham:  
Rhenish:  
White Salt-glazed:  

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Prehistoric Artifacts
Flaked stone: 158
Ground stone:  
Stone bowls:  
Fire-cracked rock:  
Other lithics (all):  
Ceramics (all): 2
Rimsherds:  
Other fired clay:  
Human remain(s):
Modified faunal:  
Unmodified faunal:  
Oyster shell:
Floral material:
Uncommon Object:  
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Historic Artifacts
Pottery (all): 924
Glass (all): 1321
Architectural: 1607
Furniture:  
Arms:  
Clothing:  
Personal items:  
Tobacco related:  
Activity item(s):  
Human remain(s):
Faunal material:
Misc. kitchen:  
Floral material:
Misc.: 11708
Other:
 

All quantities exact or estimated minimal counts

Lithic Material
Jasper:
Chert:
Rhyolite:
Quartz:
Quartzite:
Ferruginous quartzite:
Chalcedony:
Ironstone:
Argillite:
Steatite:
Sandstone:
Silicified sandstone:
European flint:
Basalt:
Unknown:
Other:
greenstone

Features

Dated Features
Dated features present at site:
 
Prehistoric Features
Mound(s):  
Midden:
Shell midden:
Postholes/molds:
House pattern(s):
Palisade(s):
Hearth(s):
Lithic reduction area:
Storage/trash pit:
Burial(s):
Ossuary:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Historic Features
Construction feature:
Foundation:
Cellar hole/cellar:
Hearth/chimney:
Postholes/molds:
Paling ditch/fence:
Privy/outhouse:
Well/cistern:
Trash pit/dump:
Sheet midden:
Planting feature:
Road/walkway:
Depression/mound:
Burial(s):
Railroad bed:
Earthworks:
Mill raceway:
Wheel pit:
Unknown:
Other:
 
Radiocarbon Data
Sample 1:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 2:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 3:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 4:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 5:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 6:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 7:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 8:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 
Sample 9:   +-   years BP  
Reliability
 

Additional radiocarbon results available:
   
External Samples/Data
Additional raw data may be available online:
Collection curated at MAC
Summary
The PORMARC Site, or 18FR788, is the archeological remains associated with a series of late 19th-20th century residential town lots, a church and cemetery in the village of Point of Rocks, Frederick County. In addition to the historic component, a Middle Archaic and Early Woodland lithic scatter is also present. At the time of the site’s first investigation, the site was situated amidst standing structures and lawns with sparse trees along a high terrace approximately 240 m distant from the Potomac River. Soils at the site are primarily Combs silt loams. The village of Point of Rocks is believed to have been established beginning in the 1820s. Its establishment followed shortly after a major fire in the nearby historic settlement of Trammelsburg (about 1 mile northeast of Point of Rocks). The Trammelsburg community relocated their settlement closer to the Potomac River, on land owned by iron-master Roger Johnson. Around this time, planners of both the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad and the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal were eying the narrow strip of land that ran between the Potomac River and the Catoctin Mountain at Point of Rocks for the new routes that would connect Baltimore and Georgetown to the developing west. Because the canal and the railroad were in competition for freight, they became embroiled in a legal battle for the narrow strip of land at Point of Rocks. Although the canal and the railroad ultimately agreed to share the narrow passage, the costly litigation lasted from 1828 until 1832 and stalled construction of both. Despite the controversy, on July 4th, 1828, Georgetown and Baltimore both hosted grand celebrations marking the simultaneous groundbreaking ceremonies for the competing projects. By 1833, a significant settlement had sprung up around Point of Rocks. According to an account by Benjamin Latrobe, who was visiting the area, the rough settlement included housing for railroad and canal construction workers as well as boarding houses, taverns, and freight depots. In 1835, during the execution of Roger Johnson’s will, a survey of the Point of Rocks area was drawn up. This plat showed a linear village laid out along two principal streets parallel to the Potomac River, the railroad, and the canal. Lots were being sold out of Johnson’s Mine Bank Property by the trustees for his estate, initially clustered at the west end of the modern town, near the base of the Catoctin Mountain and the road to Frederick. The buildings on these lots were probably built quickly and cheaply, and few, if any, remain. The community would continue to grow throughout the 19th century. Site 18FR788 encompasses portions of Roger Johnson Lot numbers 68, 69, 71, 72, 73, 79, 80, 82, 83, 84, and the property of the St. James Church and Cemetery. Many of these lots contained historic homes that were still standing in 2005. Lots 68 and 79 contained a late 19th century house lot located at the intersection of two secondary streets within the village. The house faced south, towards Commerce Street. Tax records state that this house was built in 1865, although no building appears at this location on an 1873 map of Point of Rocks. The earliest appearance of a building on these lots is on the 1910 Antietam 15-minute USGS quadrangle map. These lots were not sold from the estate of Roger Johnson until a Benjamin F. Stouffer purchased Lots 68 and 79 from Charles W. Ross, trustee, on April 3rd, 1880 for $100. This low purchase price indicates that the lots were unimproved when purchased by Stouffer. On December 12th, 1880, Benjamin F. Stouffer purchased Lots 69 and 80, which adjoin Lots 68 and 79 on the east. These four lots appear to have been treated as a single house lot. At the time when he purchased Lots 68 and 70, Benjamin Stouffer had just started a family. The 1880 census lists the Benjamin Stouffer household as consisting of 24-year-old Benjamin (a railroad worker), his 21-year-old wife Ella, and their newborn daughter Nina. On December 13th, 1898, Benjamin and Sarah Stouffer sold part of Lot 79 to the Point of Rocks Mutual Building Association. The Fervency Lodge #200 (a Masonic fraternal lodge) was then built upon this lot the following year. By the 1900 Census, Benjamin Stouffer had remarried, as Sarah M. Stouffer (29) was listed as his wife. The 44-year-old Stouffer continued to work for the B&O railroad. His household included his 12-year-old daughter Ida. A 1906 directory of Frederick County listed B.F. Stouffer as a railroad employee and a resident of Point of Rocks. In the 1910 Census, only 54-year-old Benjamin and his 40-year-old wife Sarah M. make up the Stouffer household. Benjamin is listed as a station engineer with the railroad. The Stouffer household did not change by the 1920 Census. At that time, 63-year-old Benjamin was listed as a laborer on the B&O railroad, while his 50-year-old wife, Sarah, kept house. In the 1930 Census, Benjamin Stouffer was listed as living by himself, a 74-year-old retired man, with a home worth $2500. On April 9th, 1945, the heirs of Benjamin Stouffer, his widow Sarah M. Stouffer, and his children, Nina E. Howser, Anna C. Schwier, and Ida Alberta Young, sold Lots 68 and 79 to J. Maggie and F. Fairfax Minor Miskell for an undisclosed sum. Although the Stouffer heirs did not convey the adjoining lots, 69 and 80, it appears that the succeeding property owners considered Lots 69 and 80 as part of their property, continuing to use all four lots (68, 69, 79, and 80) and paying property taxes on all four lots. Three years later, on March 8, 1948, the Miskells sold Lots 68 and 79 to William H. Barrett (who owned some other nearby lots) for an undisclosed amount. After William Barrett’s death, his will provided for Barrett’s residence in Point of Rocks, Lots 68 and 79, to be given to his granddaughter Betty Ann Rutherford. This transaction was completed on December 17th, 1979. On March 30th, 2000, Betty Ann Rutherford sold Lots 68 and 79 to the Board of County Commissioners for Frederick County for $66,013. The Board of County Commissioners hen sold the property to the Maryland Transit Agency on February 9th, 2004 for $66,013. These lots were purchased for the Point of Rocks, Maryland Area Regional Commuter train (MARC train) station parking lot expansion project. Lots 71 and 82 also contained a late 19th century house lot that faced south towards Commerce Street. The north side of these lots adjoins Clay Street (today’s MD 28). Tax records indicate that this house was built in 1883. The first map evidence for this house is on the 1910 Antietam 15 minute USGS quadrangle map. These lots were not sold from the larger estate of Roger Johnson until February 7th, 1881 when Andrew J. Colbert purchased eight lots from Charles W. Ross, trustee. Colbert paid $415 for these lots, indicating that they were unimproved at the time of the sale. An 1878 directory of Frederick County lists Andrew Colbert as a carpenter residing in the village of Point of Rocks. A building was standing on Lots 71 and 82 by February 22nd, 1886, when Colbert sold the larger 8 lot property to Charles M. Elliott for $800. The 1900 Census lists the Charles Elliott household as 43-year-old Charles, who worked for the B&O, his 52-year-old wife, Mary, their 16-year-old son Harry L., and Charles’ 73-year-old mother, Anne. Charles Elliott had died by October 28th, 1909 when his widow, Mary, sold her dower right to the property to their son Harry L. Elliott for $363.33. No census records have been found for a Harry Elliott living in Frederick County after the 1900 Census. On January 11th, 1927, Harry Elliott sold Lots 71 and 82 to Mantz and India Lambert for an undisclosed sum. The 1930 Census shows the Lambert household as including 33-year-old Mantz (a fireman with the B&O), his 34-year-old wife India, and two of their children (11-year-old James and 9-year-old Benjamin). India Lambert’s 54-year-old mother, Annie Hoffner, and her 24-year-old sister, Helen Hoffner, completed the Lambert household. The Lamberts sold this property to Leonard and Blanche Rutherford on February 1st, 1945 for an undisclosed sum. The Rutherfords didn’t own the property long, selling a year later to Albert McCutcheon for an unstated amount. On January 23rd, 1973, the heirs of Albert McCutcheon conveyed this property to George and Mary Stream, reserving a life estate for Clarence and Alice McCutcheon. On October 28th, 2004, George and Mary Stream sold this property to the Maryland Department of Transportation for $105,000. Lots 72 and 83 contained a late 19th century house lot that faced south towards Commerce Street. Tax records indicate that this house was built in 1870, although no building appears at this location on an 1873 map of Point of Rocks. The earliest appearance of a building on these lots is on the 1910 Antietam 15 minute USGS quadrangle map. These lots were not sold from the larger estate of Roger Johnson until February 7th, 1881 when they were part of the large purchase of eight lots made by Andrew J. Colbert (see above). These lots appeared to be unimproved when Colbert sold them on April 3rd, 1881 to Henry Stunkle for $130. Henry Stunkle appears to have built the house on Lots 72 and 83 shortly thereafter. In the 1900 Federal Census , the Stunkle household consisted of 42-year-old Henry E. (a night watchman for the B&O railroad), his 39-year-old wife Ella, and their two sons, 16-year-old James and 10-year-old Willie. By the 1910 Census, James had left the family homestead, leaving 52-year-old Henry, who was now employed as a caterer in a lunchroom, his 50-year-old wife Estella, and their 20-year-old son William who worked as a brakeman for the B&O. The Stunkle household had increased in the 1920 Census to include William Stunkle’s family. In this census, the Stunkle household consisted of 63-year-old H.E. Stunkle (a laborer on the B&O), his 57-year-old wife Ella, their son William (a 31-year-old conductor on the B&O), William’s 26-year-old wife Winnie and their 1-year-old daughter Pauline. Henry Stunkle died in February 1933 and left all of his property to his wife Ella. On June 27th, 1942, Ella Stunkle (widow of Henry) conveyed Lots 72 and 83 to their son James F. Stunkle for an undisclosed amount. James Stunkle and his wife Frances then sold this property on January 7th, 1949 to William H. Barrett. After William Barrett’s death, this property was devised according to his will to Margaret Tracy. After Tracy died, the property was then to be conveyed to her children, Jack Miller, Betty Ann Rutherford, Auralie Creamer, William Miller, Beatrice Price, Roger Joy, Jr., Richard Joy, Joyce Green, and Margaret Duast. Margaret Tracy’s heirs then conveyed this property to their sister, Joyce Green, on May 24th, 1978. On June 28th, 2004, Joyce Green then sold this property for $164,000 to the Maryland Transit Administration. Lots 73 and 84 contained only a well house in 2005, but map and documentary evidence shows that there was a building on these lots in the late 19th and early 20th century. The two lots were not sold from the larger estate of Roger Johnson until July 12th, 1844 when William Short purchased 4 lots from Charles Johnson, trustee. Short paid $135.75 for all four lots, indicating that they were all unimproved at this time. No census records were found for a William Short living in Frederick County. William Short died intestate before July 1878, when his daughter and son-in-law, Mary and William Russell sold Lots 73 and 84 to Lewis M. Baer for $325. The purchase price indicates that these lots were improved. Lewis Baer did not own the property for long, as he sold it on March 2nd, 1881 to Andrew J. Colbert for $250. Andrew Colbert had also recently purchased adjoining Lots 72 and 83 (see above). Colbert also quickly sold the property, conveying it to David Fisher on June 18th, 1883 for $500, indicating additional improvements to the property. The Fisher family owned the property until the turn of the 20th century. The 1900 census lists the Fisher family as 50-year-old David (who worked for the B&O), his 48-year-old wife Mary, and two children: 22-year-old Edward (who also worked at the B&O), and 16-year-old Eva. David Fisher died shortly after the census was taken and in February 1907 his widow Mary sold Lots 73 and 84 for $325 to William and Catherine Barrett. The Barretts would own this property for the next fifty years. It was during their tenure that the buildings on Lot 73 and 84 were torn down. The Barretts had purchased the adjoining Lots 72and 83 in 1949 (see above) and may have torn down the dwelling on Lots 73 and 84 at that time. The 1910 Census lists the Barrett family as consisting of 39-year-old William (a train walker), his 39-year-old wife Catherine, and their six children: 18-year-old William, 10-year-old Clara, 8-year-old India, 7-year-old Lilly, 5-year-old Minnie, and 2-year-old Margaret. In the 1920 Census records, the Barrett family has grown smaller, with the household consisting of 48-year-old William (a laborer on the B&O railroad), his 47-year-old wife Catherine, and four daughters: 18-year-old India, 17-year-old Lily, 15-year-old Minnie, and 12-year-old Margaret. By the 1930 Census, many of the Barrett’s children had moved out of their household, leaving 60-year-old William (then an assistant signal maintenance man for the B&O), his 59-year-old wife, their daughter 28-year-old India Tedrick, and five grandchildren: 12-year-old Raymond Metzer, 10-year-old Kathleen Metzer, 8-year-old Virginia Barrett, 7-year-old Evelyn Barrett, and 5-year-old Willard Barrett. In April 1957, the 86-year-old William Barrett (by then a widower) sold Lots 73 and 84 to Bertrand and Marian Miskell, his grandson and granddaughter-in-law, for an undisclosed amount. Included in this transaction was the reservation of the right for William Barrett to use jointly with the Miskells, a well dug on Lots 73 and 84. There were probably no improvements besides this well on these lots by this time. No building appears on these lots on the 1955 Point of Rocks USGS quadrangle map. On November 7th, 1961, Birtrand and Marian Miskell sold Lots 73 and 84 to E.W. Ausherman, Inc. for an undisclosed amount. It was then sold less than 2 years later to Jospeh and Naomi Kerrigan, on February 14th, 1963. Joseph Kerrigan died in 1969 and Naomi Kerrigan in 1992, leaving as her executor Joann Athey. Joann Athey then conveyed Lots 73 and 84 to herself and her husband, James. James and Joann Athey sold Lots 73 and 84 to the Maryland Transit Administration for $31,000 on December 28th, 2004. As early as the 1830s, a Catholic mission was established at Point of Rocks to meet the spiritual needs of the canal and railroad workers, many of whom were Irish Catholics. The establishment of the former St. James Church in Point of Rocks began in December of 1880, with James Gibbons’ (Archbishop of Baltimore) purchase from James McSherry of two lots within the village of Point of Rocks for a nominal sum. McSherry was a member of a prominent Catholic, Frederick County family. McSherry had purchased these two lots, 70 and 81, only five months earlier from Charles W. Ross, trustee. There are no records of any buildings standing on these lots prior to McSherry’s purchase. A church building was constructed in 1881 under the direction of Father John M. Barry. Fr. Barry also served as pastor to St. James in Point of Rocks. A small burial yard sprung up around the church building in the decade that followed its construction. A combination of informant interviews and archival research in 2005 led to the discovery that 4 burials were present at 18FR788 on the former St. James property. Local informants stated that a particular section of the churchyard served as a burying ground and that headstones were once present. Though the headstones were no longer present by the first decade of the 21st century, when archeologists first examined the site in detail, 4 grave shafts were quickly located in the identified area. Archival research revealed a burial record kept by Fr. John Barry. Five burials were associated with St. James Parish, four of which took place in the church yard (the fifth refers to a blessing ceremony held by Fr. Barry at a Protestant cemetery). The four St. James burials were Jessie Cross (a 13 year old buried September 18th, 1895), Charles Nichols (a toddler killed in a fire buried August 21st, 1898), Noble S. Dean (buried December 31st, 1998), and Margaret N. Funey (an infant who died of bronchitis and was buried on April 31st, 1899). The sizes of the individual grave shafts matched well the information from Fr. Barry’s records. The parish structure of Frederick County was reorganized after the Jesuits moved from the county in the early 20th century. With this move, the Catholic churches of Frederick County were staffed with secular, diocesan priests, rather than the Jesuits. As part of this reorganization, St. James became a mission under the authority of St. Joseph’s in Buckeystown in 1902. It may be that, after the reorganization, no more burials were permitted at St. James (accounting for the small number of burials), and instead, Catholics from Point of Rocks were buried at St. Joseph’s in Buckeystown. This could explain the lack of post-1899 burials at St. James. According to Frederick County newspapers, by the early 1950s there were no regularly scheduled masses at St. James. By 1953 and at least through 1955, mass was said at St. James on the 5th Sunday of the month. By the late 1960s and early 1970s, masses were offered more frequently at St. James, on every 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sunday. St. James closed its doors due to declining church attendance (an average of 10 at mass) and damage to the church due to age and floods. By the mid 20th century, flood damage to the wooden floor of the building caused the implementation of occupancy limits. Fr. William Simmons, its last pastor, conducted the last church service at St. James on September 4th, 1978. On September 9th, 1984, the Diocese of Baltimore sold Lots 70 and 81, along with the former church building to Basil A. Whitaker for an unspecified amount. Site 18FR788 was first identified in 2001 during the course of a Phase I survey on property acquired by the Maryland Transit Agency for the expansion of the Point of Rocks, Maryland Area Regional Commuter train (MARC train) station parking lot. The spaced needed for the new MARC parking lot was assembled from the various historic lots discussed above. The 276-space parking lot that had served the station previously had become inadequate to handle the volume of rail commuters using the station, leading to frequent illegal parking by commuters. Since public monies would be spent on the MARC Station improvements, investigation was warranted under federal mandates including Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, and regulations contained in 36 CFR 800 that protect cultural properties. Phase I work in November and December of 2001 entailed the excavation of 83 shovel test pits (STPs) at 7.62 m (25 foot) intervals, limited mechanical stripping of surface soils in the vicinity of a suspected privy (four backhoe trenches total), and the excavation of three 91 X 91 cm (3 X 3 ft) test units. A total of 2,734 artifacts were recovered. Twelve prehistoric lithics were among the total, occurring in near-surface contexts. The in situ prehistoric material was clustered in three small loci, while an isolated find derived from the fill context east of a creek. The historic material dated exclusively to the 19th and 20th centuries, likely post-Civil War. Assessment of the site’s integrity in 2001 determined that historic disturbance of the various parcels likely had impacted any prehistoric cultural features and locating intact prehistoric deposits was very low. However, dense concentrations of historical material were found in all but the lot containing the former St. James Catholic Church. The material from the lower landforms at the site appeared to have been deposited or reworked by stream action or filling activities. Although some 19th century ceramics were recovered from the shovel tests, these artifacts were intermixed with material dating to the mid- or late-20th century, indicating that all of it was of relatively recent deposition. Based on the potential to locate intact historic deposits in some portions of the site (in particular the higher, terrace areas) further investigation was recommended. Archeologists returned to the site in 2005 to carry out a combined Phase I/II project associated with the expansion of the MARC parking facilities. The 2005 project entailed the mechanical excavation of trenches to remove extensive floodplain deposits, shovel test pit excavation, and the excavation of thirty 1 X 1 m test units across the various historic lots. Initial trenching activities were actually carried out in 2002 to gain a better understanding of the stratigraphy of the site to aide in fieldwork planning. Four trenches were excavated with the assistance of a backhoe and operator, ranging in length from 2 to 3.75 m and in depths between 2 and 3 m below the ground surface. All mechanical excavation was monitored by the professional archeologists. The trenching revealed the presence of 2 distinct landforms within the site. A higher landform encompasses most of the site area except Lot 84 and was demarcated on its east edge by an east-facing scarp with a dense line of brush. Phase II excavation was designed to focus on this higher landform. Shovel test pits (STPs) were then excavated across Lots 71, 72, 82, and 83. STPs were placed on a grid at 7.62 m (25 ft) intervals across these lots, with slight alterations to the grid based on the presence of standing structures or other obstacles. STPs measured approximately 50 cm in diameter and were excavated in natural layers or soil horizons. The shovel tests typically extended 10 to 20 cm into Pleistocene-age subsoil or to the practical depth of excavation (75-80 cm), whichever was shallower. All excavated material was screened through hardware mesh, and recovered artifacts (including a sample of modern items) were placed in plastic bags labeled with the appropriate provenience information. The stratigraphic profile of every shovel test was recorded on standardized forms, minimally including the depth, color, and texture of each layer/horizon as well as the types of recovered artifacts. After completion of the shovel testing, 30 one-meter square test units were excavated within the site to further investigate areas of higher artifact densities and possible cultural features (as determined by historic research and shovel testing). Any features discovered within an excavation unit were bisected and then fully excavated. A line level attached to a length of string was used in recording the stratigraphic layers below ground surface. Otherwise, the methods used in excavating the test units were the same as those employed for the shovel tests, although 10 cm levels were excavated within the subsoil. One wall profile of each test unit was drawn to scale and photographed with both black-and-white print and color-slide film. Photographs also were taken of field conditions and excavations in progress. Seven test trenches, stripping surface soils, were then excavated within the site to expose possible features. The locations of the various trenches were determined by artifact densities from the initial Phase I testing or from historical information. The stripping, performed by backhoe, was archeologically monitored, and any exposed cultural features were further defined by shovel and trowel. Discovered features were explored by three methods. Small features were bisected, and then fully excavated. Large features were bisected unless they exhibited only late 20th century materials. And any large features that only exhibited late 20th century artifacts were shovel tested to recover a sample of artifacts and to verify the feature contained no earlier context. A total of 30 shovel tests were excavated during Phase II work (both in features and without). Permission was also obtained, during the course of the Phase II testing, for the excavation, and reburial elsewhere of the four human interments at the site. The team then used the backhoe to remove the fill over the graves and to examine the immediate area around the burials for other features or evidence of grave markers. Non-grave features were mapped, bisected, and fully excavated. The team excavated a sump within the area for water drainage. After determining the depth of the 19th century coffins by split spoon augering at the edge of each graveshaft, additional earth was removed by machine at which point hand tools were used to expose the coffin and its contents. The soil removed with hand tools was screened through hardware cloth, and any recovered artifacts were placed in plastic bags labeled with the appropriate provenience information. When a preserved/intact coffin lid was exposed, photographs and drawings were made. All artifacts, nails, coffin hardware and wood remains, and funeral items were mapped in place and given provenience identification. The remains were exposed for in-situ examination by a forensic anthropologist, then removed for any addition examination and reburial. After cleaning the grave contents (human remains, coffin furniture, personal artifacts, coffin wood, etc.), these items were cataloged, photographed, and placed in acid-free boxes to await reburial. While awaiting formal approval for reburial of the remains, they were kept moist and cold to retard decomposition of the artifacts by keeping the conditions similar to the damp graves. This also retarded the development of mold. Individual remains were reburied along with any material recovered from its associated grave shaft. The remains associated with each grave were placed in plastic coffins, which were then sealed. They were reburied at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Point of Rocks on 19 November, 2005. All four coffins were placed in the same grave in a burial vault. The 30 STPs, 30 test units, and trenches excavated during Phase II work yielded 12,986 artifacts, 148 of which were prehistoric. The artifact assemblage includes many 20th century artifacts, including recent items such as string and plastic. Phase II testing at 18FR788 revealed dense concentrations of historical material in all but the lot containing the former St. James Catholic Church. The land around the four standing structures at the site (the severely deteriorated St. James Church and 3 greatly modified 19th century houses) has been modified and disturbed by landscaping, plowing, tilling, and construction, but some features have remained at the subsoil level. The cultural features (aside from standing structures) encountered during Phase II testing included a porch footer, a stone foundation pier, stone foundation remnants, 8 privies, a dry well, 7 trash pits (mostly 20th century), 5 landscaping and planting features, 20 posthole/molds, a hearth, a plow scar, a brick-filled trench, 3 utility trenches, a builder’s trench, a filled ditch, and the 4 aforementioned grave shafts. Although features are found in the subsoil, the artifacts they contain are in a mixed context thus providing no relative dating for those features before the late 20th century. A buried A horizon that dated to the late 19th century was present in most of the test units. Analysis of the feature and A horizon artifacts was necessary to identify site formation processes. While there was no significant information on the earlier occupations, information on late 20th century consumption and disposal patterns was obtained. Because of the mixed nature of the historic and modern deposits, all historic artifacts have been cataloged here and in the tables above as miscellaneous objects, with the exception of diagnostic materials (8,986 artifacts). Diagnostic historic artifacts included 492 cut nails, 1,115 wire nails, 3 creamware sherds, 13 pearlware sherds, 542 whiteware sherds, 189 ironstone sherds, 139 porcelain sherds, 38 decal-decorated wares, 1,061 post-1938 machine-made bottle glass fragments, and 260 other machine-made bottle glass. Prehistoric artifacts included a single rhyolite Morrow Mountain II point, another rhyolite point fragment, 144 flake fragments, 1 Accokeek sherd, and 1 other ceramic sherd. While prehistoric artifacts at 18FR788 were concentrated in particular areas of the site, most of the material came from mixed A horizon or fill. Only a few artifacts were found in an undisturbed context. No features were associated with the recovered prehistoric artifacts and only one projectile point and one piece of ceramic were diagnostic. Although a prehistoric presence was discovered here, it is unlikely that any significant information can be recovered. Examination of the human remains from St. James Catholic Church cemetery was found to be extremely poor and significantly restricts the amount of bioarchaeological information that can be collected from the skeletal remains. The in situ examination of the human remains was critical, as bone inventories would not have been possible had the remains been removed and subjected to analysis at a later point in time. The bioarcheological examination that was performed identified only a subadult male, aged 11 to 13 years and an older adult male. Only tooth crowns represent the subadult and the only oral pathway scored was a small pit carie on a molar. The older adult male was represented by tooth crowns and highly eroded and fragmented postcranial elements. This male shows moderately severe occlusal surface wear, a small pit carie on a molar, and eight linear enamel hypoplasias. Based on the lack of intact historic or prehistoric features of significance, as well as the thorough mixing of artifacts from various contexts, Site 18FR788 does not appear to have any research potential. It is unlikely that any significant information can be obtained from additional work at the site.
External Reference Codes
Library ID Numbers: