Phase II and Phase III Archaeological Database and Inventory
18BC49 Albemarle Row House II
Diagnostic Artifact Data
Features
Summary
Site 18BC49, also known as Albemarle Row House II, is the archeological remains associated with an early 19th-late 20th century brick rowhouse in downtown Baltimore, Maryland. The site is the location of the former Baltimore City Life Museum offices at 46 Albemarle Street in the Jonestown (or Old Town) section of the city. Most of the area surrounding the site is heavily developed today. Soils mapped for the area are classified as “Urban Land” meaning that 80% of the surface is covered either by buildings or by impervious surfaces such as asphalt or concrete.
Baltimore Towne was laid out on January 12, 1730, consisting of, “sixty acres of Land, in and about the place where one John Flemming now lives”. Just two years later Jones Town was laid out, and in 1745 the two merged to form a new Baltimore. By 1752, twenty-five houses appeared on a map sketched by John Moale, and the population was recorded at 300. Jones Town was represented by a few houses in the upper right portion of the sketch.
Not long after a survey in 1773, lots 196 and 197 (the general location of the site) were sold for development and divided. In 1785, an Edward Oldham bought lots 195 and 196, and in 1794 George Davey purchased lot 197. Edward Oldham’s heirs were listed in the Tax Assessor’s Field Book in 1794 as well. IN 1805 Edward Oldham’s heirs were listed as not having paid the pavement tax. Lot 196 probably remained vacant until 1809 when John Simpson leased the property for 99 years. In 1810, Lot 196 was divided and assigned to Mary Haley and John Brenan. A similar story evolved for Lot 197, but improvements were being built by 1795. Special instructions by George Davey in his will included the “brick house when finished” at the corner of Albemarle and King George (today’s Lombard) Streets. The lot was bought at public sale by John Dalrymple in 1796 and remained in the Dalrymple family until 1829. In 1834, Lot 197 was divided.
In 1810, John Simpson assigned the property to Mary Haley. In 1813, Mary Haley was assessed for a lot, improvement, furniture, plate and two slaves for a total of $525.00. Between 1816 and 1824 she was listed in the Baltimore City Directories as a widow dwelling at 33 Albemarle Street (later 46 Albemarle). In the household were one free white male 26-45 years old, one free white female 10-16 years old, one free white female 16-26 years old, one free white female 26-45 years old, one free white female 45 years old and over, and one slave. Mary is believed to have died in 1833.
In 1826, Mary had assigned the property to Peter La Font who paid ground rent. Peter La Font was listed in the city directories between 1829 and 1837 as an accountant dwelling at 33 Albemarle Street. The 1830 census listed a free white male 50-60 years old, a free white female 40-50 years old, one slave and one free colored person in the household. In 1837, La Font’s property was assessed for a lot, a two storey brick dwelling, furniture, plate and a negro woman (named Elizabeth), 35 years old. Peter La Font’s wife, Mary, was listed in the city directories at 33/37 Albemarle Street between 1842 and 1853-1854. In 1846 she was assessed for the lot, a two storey brick dwelling, and three negroes as well as for shares in 3 banks and an insurance company. The 1850 census listed Mary LaFont as a 71 year old female with an assessed real estate value of $1,500 whose birthplace was France.
In 1853, the estate of Mary LaFont was administered by Charles V. Mitchell, and Mitchell assigned the property to John Henry Dittman who paid ground rent. Dittman was listed in the 1856-1857 city directory as a Grocer dwelling at 37 Albemarle Street (formerly 33 Albemarle). In 1857, Henry Dittman was assessed for a smaller portion of the lot at 37 Albemarle Street and a two storey brick dwelling. In 1863, John T. Morris and Bernard Greesnpan of the Baltimore Central Building Association No. 3 became permanent trustees for John Dittman.
In 1864, the Baltimore Central Building Association No. 3 assigned the property to Frederick Fehte who paid ground rent. Fehte was listed in the city directories between 1868 and 1886 as a tailor dwelling at 37/39 Albemarle Street. Fehte was assessed in 1876 and 1886 for the lot, a three storey brick building and furniture. The 1876 assessment lists a two storey brick building as well. This may indicate an addition at that time. In the 1870 census Frederick Fehte was listed as a 42 year old tailor who was born in Brunswick. Living in his household were Cecelia Fehte, a 44 year old white female born in Bavaria, and their children bron in Maryland. Also, two young couples appear to also be residing in the Fehte household. The 1880 census listed Frederick and his family along with four other families at 39 Albemarle Street (formerly 33 and 37 Albemarle). At that time 20 people were living at the one address! In 1903, Cecelia’s will was probated and the property was passed on to her children Frederick and Leontina.
The property saw many owners until it was purchased in fee simple by Esther Greenspun and Ida Spiegel, joint tenants in 1948. The 1948 Sanborn Insurance Map of Baltimore indicates that the building was being used as a rooming house, and next door, 44 Albemarle Street (see synopsis for 18BC48) was a dwelling. The two properties were (at this time) joined under a single ownership). Eventually both properties would become the site of the Baltimore City Life Museum (BCLM) offices.
The only documented archeological work at 18BC49 occurred in 1984 and 1985. The work was undertaken in preparation for construction of new office facilities for the BCLM, restoration of a townhouse (an adjacent archeological site – see synopsis for 18BC50) for interpretive purposes, and associated landscaping. The work was mandated by Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
The investigation occurred in three stages. The first stage entailed investigation of the middle and rear yard of the former 46 Albemarle Street rowhouse. Targeted specifically was the basement of the former structure with the intention of identifying activity areas and recovering data pertaining to the residential and business uses of the property over time. A 3.05 m (10 ft ) square excavation unit was located in the rear basement area. The unit was then further divided into four smaller units. The second stage of excavation entailed excavation of specific features revealed during the first stage of work. A series of three 46 cm (1.5 ft) wide parallel test trenches were also dug in the rear yard to locate additional features and to attempt to define soil stratigraphy. The final stage of fieldwork involved the excavation of five additional test units (of varying sizes) to further expose and investigate a number of features identified during the preceding stages. Excavation was conducted in arbitrary levels with all soils being screened through hardware cloth.
The excavations of 1984 and 1985 revealed the presence of archeological features associated with the mid through late 19th century residential uses of the property. These included remnants of a brick pavement, a wood-lined pit filled with ash, two post-holes, a brick-lined French drain, and a mid 19th century privy. A total of 4,643 artifacts were recovered from the site, including at least 44 pieces of kiln furniture, 5 slate pencils, 76 nails (wrought, square cut, and wire), 1 metal button, 2 possible Piercyware glazed sherds, 118 creamware sherds, 3 whiteware sherd, 25 redware sherds, 26 gray salt-glazed stoneware sherds, 636 ceramic sherds, 1 cameo engraving, 2 coins, and 2 prehistoric quartz flakes.
No additional documentation is available from the 1984 and 1985 excavations at 18BC49. Based on the limited reporting, the site would appear to have subsurface integrity. In the mid 1990s much of this area was altered to construct a new exhibit center for the BCLM. No additional work appears to have been conducted at 18BC49 and the impact of the new exhibit center on the archeological deposits is unknown.
|